I have been dealing with ich but my tetras fins aren't looking that healthy during heat treatment

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

TomW

Reaction score
I noticed today that a few of my tetra's fins look kind of unhealthy. Im not really sure how to describe it but I got this picture. Is this a normal side effect?
As you can see the anal fin looks a bit tatty, im 90% sure this should all be one flowing fin rather than the jagged edges
Open photo

just to provide some context, Ive been doing heat treatment for 3 days (this is the 4th day) at the time of this post, fish seem to be okay, obviously ich is making them a little more lethargic and this is happening to a couple of the tetras, is it a concern? the ich has diminished slightly but not loads, temp is at 30-31 degrees to destroy the ich and all other parameters are good, completed a 50% water change yesterday and doing them every 2-3 days to get rid of dead parasites

One of my tetras is just about to pass away and it looks like there is a fluffy white-ish thing covering his body, I found him resting in plants upside down and now he floating upside at the top of a quarantine tank with just water from the aquarium

I know its not nice to look at im super upset about this but heres a picture so you can get an idea of what im talking about, ive done some research but im really not sure how to diagnose this and if it is to do with ich??

Attachments

• Tetra.jpg
    Tetra.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 37
I have myself noticed degenerating fins with ich when it is severe. Heat is your best treatment, for two full weeks (do normal water changes, but keep the temperature high, 30C or above won't hurt). This species (and most others for that matter) is well able to manage with warmer temperatures for two weeks.

I have myself noticed degenerating fins with ich when it is severe. Heat is your best treatment, for two full weeks (do normal water changes, but keep the temperature high, 30C or above won't hurt). This species (and most others for that matter) is well able to manage with warmer temperatures for two weeks.
thank you, unfortunately, the really stricken one is passing away but I don't have any means of euthanizing the poor thing :( and im in isolation so i cant even go out and get clove oil and personally couldnt bring myself to do it by any other means. I will continue with the heat treatment of course, just going to pray none of the others succombe

is there any activated carbon in your filter? if so, the ich treatment will not do anything.

is there any activated carbon in your filter? if so, the ich treatment will not do anything.
Im not treating it with medication, I am treating with heat, would rather not introduce medication as I have shrimp in the tank and they will suffer as consequence. If i see no improvement after 2 weeks (by which time it should be gone) then I will QT The shrimp and use ich x, but for now heat on its own should do the trick,

With regards to the fin issues, Byron has suggested its a side affect of the ich and unfortunately I do have quite a bad case of it, all the other tetras are dealing well with their fin issues, hoping they dont get worse.

That would be true but I don't think any "medication" is being used, just heat and this has no relationship to the carbon. Heat alone is the best and safest treatment. When fish are severely affected by the time the heat begins, some can be expected not to make it.

When fish are severely affected by the time the heat begins, some can be expected not to make it.
The poor thing was literally enveloped by the morning when I woke up and unfortunately the heat we were experiencing in the UK didnt help the outbreak either, I started the heat treatment as soon as possible and unfortunately the poor fella hasnt made it 😭

Secondary infections are not unusual in sick fish.
If they are new, the LFS may not have kept them in the best conditions exposing them to various pathogens. If this is a possibility I suggest finding a better fish store.
Keep up the water changes for water quality and ensure aeration is high by aiming the filter at the water surface and/or adding on air stone.

Secondary infections are not unusual in sick fish.
If they are new, the LFS may not have kept them in the best conditions exposing them to various pathogens. If this is a possibility I suggest finding a better fish store.
Keep up the water changes for water quality and ensure aeration is high by aiming the filter at the water surface and/or adding on air stone.
Well, the tetras that have been affected are pets at home and they were fine till my pleco came in from a previous winner of a best fish store. they are highly recommended so I think it's just unfortunate that I managed to get a sick pleco. The tetras may well have weak immune systems though, can imagine the pets at home lifestyle is probably quite stressful.

Ive also got a big air stone going so aeration is fine, unfortunately the fins of a couple have suffered but they are still swimming and eating for now, wont be surprised if one or two more dont follow in the footsteps to fish heaven :(

you can add 1 heaped tablespoon of rock salt per 20 litres of water, to help reduce the chance of infection due to the number of parasites on the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back