I Have A Snail...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kairi

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I didn't really want a snail- he's very tiny and was a stowaway on our java fern. We found him after we changed the water. Will he be ok? Will he mess anything up? What do they eat? Will he mind 80* water? Will the fish pick at him?

I didn't really want a snail- he's very tiny and was a stowaway on our java fern. We found him after we changed the water. Will he be ok? Will he mess anything up? What do they eat? Will he mind 80* water? Will the fish pick at him?

He/She will probably breed or die. They can be difficult to get rid of. I bought Clown Loaches to keep them at bay however the problem with them is they grow big. I would remove if necessary otherwise they can be cute if not too many. They will eat any plants you have, Like outside they also leave trails on the glass.
Depends if you like or dislike.

snails are good for the general health of your aquarium, not only will they eat the plants they will also tidy up any bits of uneaten food and what not, they can get out of control but I am sure they only breed due to how much food there is to consume.

If you end up with more snails than you want in the tank, just crush 'em against the glass... most fish'll snap them up!

I have two snails and they haven't bothered anything so far. They are VERY interesting to watch and if you start to get to much just bag them up and put them in a lake or pond surely they would be alright. :D

beware releasing into the wild, the wildlife agency in your area may have something to say about it if you're releasing non-native snails into the water system.

i have one tiiiny ramshorn snail that hitchhiked into my 7 gallon. he munches on my algae but doesn't bother with the plants.

it does depend what type of snail you have, there are several, most likely a ramshorn though i reckon, they can breed like rabbits, but i think they prefer algae to your plants.

there's only one- it won't breed by itself, will it? i don't want it to eat my java fern either... this AM i can't find him though- he's prolly in the gravel somewhere.

there's only one- it won't breed by itself, will it? i don't want it to eat my java fern either... this AM i can't find him though- he's prolly in the gravel somewhere.

...i think (some) snails reproduce asexually...

Don't count on it to not reproduce.

Snails are like ants, there's never just one.

I have snails in my aquarium, and I like them there. I have to do population control once in a while, but I like having some.

Some people don't like snails and get rid of them. If you want to get rid of them, I reccomend against using any chemicals. Instead, put a lettuce leaf on a veggie clip before you go to bed at night. In the morning, before you turn your tank lights on, remove the lettuce (the snails should be crawling all over it) and dispose. This will get rid of most of the snails.

hey that's a great idea! :) I guess I'll leave him be for now... if there's too many later, I'll definatly remember the lettuce... what do I do with it though, just throw it away?

I just throw it away. You could euthanize the snails if you felt morally obliged, not sure exactly how you would do that though.

nah, they'll be fine in the trash. will they die out of water? if they over run my tank, i don't think i'd care at the moment if they liked the trash can or not.

the snails you get as hitchhikers (most likely ramshorn) are purely aquatic and will die out of water.

These snails breed like flies. I wanted 5 from a friend and then a moth later, i ended up with hundreds!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back