I have 2 pieces of wood i got online how long do i boil them ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

s420merc

Reaction score
I got 2 pieces of wood online how long do i boil them to get all the tannins out and so they dont float

Donkeys years is the short answer 😩

Boiling them will soften the wood fibres so they'll start to fall apart earlier. I just leave my wood to soak in cold water until it sinks. That takes as long as it takes. I've had wood sink in a couple of days, but other pieces have taken weeks. You won't know which you have till you try it.

As for tannins, fish are quite happy with them it's us fish keepers who don't like brown water. Water changes will remove some of the brown colour at every water change.

Not worth boiling woods because as essjay says it simply softens the wood and makes it decay / fall apart quicker.

Putting wood in a clean container and adding water, add a pump if you wish to circulate the water as that removes tannins a bit quicker imho.

Anyone’s guess as to how long it takes to sink wood as it differs vetween different types of bogwood, driftwood and root wood.

Sometimes it’s easier to attach weights to the wood so it rests on ground of container so wood is completely submerged and this helps to make the wood more waterlogged a bit quicker.

Then add a touch of patience for however long it takes to sink the wood. ;)

I just rinse and add to the tank. I never seem to have wood that fits in a bucket anyway! The tannins aren't that noticeable if you are in the habit of regular water changes, and they are good for fish. I use a rock to weigh it down. After a couple of weeks the stone can be moved.

What type of wood is it?
I bought a piece of bogwood and boiled it for about 1hr in total refreshing the water every 20mins or so.
I didn't want black water.
It stayed solid and leaked nothing once put into my tank.
Since doing this in February I've only had one tiny splinter come free, probably from a toothbrush scrub.

Since doing this in February I've only had one tiny splinter come free, probably from a toothbrush scrub.
That's not convincing me of the longevity of your bogwood.
I recently 'retired' a piece of drift wood from the tank to the garden. I've had it for 3 decades :)

I recently 'retired' a piece of drift wood from the tank to the garden. I've had it for 3 decades :)
The piece was small, and I split it in two.
It's just a space filler to add texture and a natural element for the snails and fish.
4" by 3"
Nothing spectacular.
I'm not concerned.

3 decades :hyper: wow.. you must have had some great fish and tanks in that time. I look forward to seeing what I can do in that time.
Got to respect a veteran

But you do have to boil if its a piece directly from outside or if you ordered a piece of wood that hasnt been treated yet. If those aren't boiled they may contaminate the tank. But most of the wood from pet/fish stores is safe to add directly.

But you do have to boil if its a piece directly from outside or if you ordered a piece of wood that hasnt been treated yet. If those aren't boiled they may contaminate the tank. But most of the wood from pet/fish stores is safe to add directly.
i bought it at online fishstore so i can just sink it

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back