I have 2 of the most beginner questions ever

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ncstater1919 said:
what is alkanility and what is the purpose of a gravel cleaner and how do you use one>?
[snapback]907571[/snapback]​

alkalinity is basically a term of how basic a solution is. on the pH scale, 7.0 is in the middle. this is what pure water is. anything higher than 7.0 is considered basic or alkaline because the solution is considered a base, something that accepts hydrogen ions. if it is less than 7.0 it is considered acidic because it's an acid, or somthing that donates hydrogen ions.

edit: nevermind, this isn't totally correct. read below response.

a gravel cleaner cleans out the debris that accummulates in your gravel (fish food, waste, etc). this stuff can break down into ammonia, which makes your aquarium basic, and also is poison to fish. to use one, if you just have the standard vaccuum one, you make sure the the tank is higher than the bucket you want to empty the water in to. you quickly suck in to the skinny end of the gravel cleaner while the gravel cleaner end is in the water, and put it in a bucket (or something to hold water) as quickly as possible. water will begin to drain from your tank, and you put the gravel cleaner in and out of the gravel as it sucks up debris.

Alkalinity is a measure of the buffering capacity of water, or the capacity of bases to neutralize acids. Measuring alkalinity is important in determining a stream's ability to neutralize acidic pollution from rainfall or wastewater. Alkalinity does not refer to pH, but instead refers to the ability of water to resist change in pH. The presence of buffering materials help neutralize acids as they are added to the water. These buffering materials are primarily the bases bicarbonate (HCO3-), and carbonate (CO32-), and occasionally hydroxide (OH-), borates, silicates, phosphates, ammonium, sulfides, and organic ligands.
http://bcn.boulder.co.us/basin/data/NUTRIENTS/info/Alk.html

Gravel Cleaners to almost percisely as their name implies, the clean the gravel, sand or what ever substance you have on your tanks bottom (if you have some that is). It is an excellet way of removing uneatten food, fish poo, and do a bit of a water change while your at it.

There are many different types of gravel cleaners but they most like work on the syphon idea where is you create a pressure inside the hose and the water is drain out of your tank through the hose and out into whatever you put the other end into. There are a couple of different ways of starting the syphon some require you to put your mouth to the hose and suck out the air (which is not as gross as it sounds but you do end up with a small mouth full of fish water), if you have a sink near by the python is a self priming gravel cleaner that creates the syphon for you.

a1wonder said:
Alkalinity is a measure of the buffering capacity of water, or the capacity of bases to neutralize acids. Measuring alkalinity is important in determining a stream's ability to neutralize acidic pollution from rainfall or wastewater. Alkalinity does not refer to pH, but instead refers to the ability of water to resist change in pH. The presence of buffering materials help neutralize acids as they are added to the water. These buffering materials are primarily the bases bicarbonate (HCO3-), and carbonate (CO32-), and occasionally hydroxide (OH-), borates, silicates, phosphates, ammonium, sulfides, and organic ligands.

wow, that's pretty bad of me. i'm a junior chemistry major, and i've never encountered alkalinity. i just assumed it was just another way of saying something is alkaline or basic.

alkalinity may be more of an evironmental science thing, and that's why i've never encountered it in inorganic or analytical chemistry.

I live in Manitoba and we have a bit of a problem resently with the Devil Lake deversion so alkalinity has been constantly in our news for the past the year. My boyfriend who is bio eng. thought it had to do with the measure of ph as well so dont' feel to alone lol

a1wonder said:

Gravel Cleaners to almost percisely as their name implies, the clean the gravel, sand or what ever substance you have on your tanks bottom (if you have some that is). It is an excellet way of removing uneatten food, fish poo, and do a bit of a water change while your at it.

There are many different types of gravel cleaners but they most like work on the syphon idea where is you create a pressure inside the hose and the water is drain out of your tank through the hose and out into whatever you put the other end into. There are a couple of different ways of starting the syphon some require you to put your mouth to the hose and suck out the air (which is not as gross as it sounds but you do end up with a small mouth full of fish water), if you have a sink near by the python is a self priming gravel cleaner that creates the syphon for you.
[snapback]907607[/snapback]​

This is correct. Although a high pH (over 7) is called an alkaline pH, alkalinity refers to kH, or more specifically, carbonate hardness. It also relates to the electrical conductivity of the water. Basically, as a newbie, you shouldn't have to worry.

Actually you don't have to suck on the end of the vacum cleaner going in the bucket. What I do is submerse the entire thing in the tank, then once the whole thing fills with water I put my thumb over the small opening that goes in the water and it usually starts flowing out. I think its less nasty of a way to do it, and you don't take a chance of getting fish water in your mouth.

The problem with my tank is that it is pretty clsoe to the ground, about 2 feet from the ground. so i cant really get the water to the bucket, what i have been attempting to do is get the particles and put it clsoe to my filter to suck up but that may not be the best idea? is it bad that my Alkalinity is 120? if so will water changes lower or rise it?

You can get one of the small gravel vacuums. I use one on my 5 gallon which is sitting on a table only about 18" to 20" off the floor. Just make sure the hose is completely in the bucket and curled on the bottom with no upward loops. To start it flowing, Just stick the syphon end in the water and get it full. Simply lift it up out of the water so that the water in it starts to flow down the tube. As soon as it starts flowing down, stick the vacuum end back in the water and it will begin to syphon.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back