I Hate Hydrometers!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JoshH

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Just got my refractometer this morning and calibrated it with the calibration fluid it comes with, all week my bloooody hyrdrometer has been reading 1.019-1.020 so i've been adding salt gradually, tested it today and its 1.040 :crazy: :shout: time to do some water changes to bring it riiight down lol :(

Please do this slowly if fully stocked

Just got my refractometer this morning and calibrated it with the calibration fluid it comes with, all week my bloooody hyrdrometer has been reading 1.019-1.020 so i've been adding salt gradually, tested it today and its 1.040 :crazy: :shout: time to do some water changes to bring it riiight down lol :(
i think you should be a refractometer personally then you can be sure and you wont be guessing.

it just goes to show how they can drift.

i think you should be a refractometer personally then you can be sure and you wont be guessing.

I should be one, lol? if you mean buy then i have lol :good:

Dont worry BigC its not stocked mate :good:

Mine was not that far out but it was out. Got it checked at the lfs yesterday, now I know where 1.025 is there is no reason to chuck it. Will periodically get it checked now.

The scary thing is its only been used since last saturday :S so it has either deteriorated fast or was very out from the offset! once I get my SG back down to 1.025 il see what hydro says!

This wouldnt have damaged anything such as the LR would it?

Thankfully you had no corals or livestock, the stuff that comes on LR is normally very hardy so i wouldn't imagine you'd of have much if any die-off :good:

Its not just Hydrometers that can land you in trouble, sometimes for some weird reason my refractometer uncalibrates itself and if i don't keep checking it when mixing my water the S.G could end up way out. Refractometers are still way better imo, my hydrometer just gives me a ball park figue at best and i have pretty much given up with it.

I should be one, lol? if you mean buy then i have lol :good:

Dont worry BigC its not stocked mate :good:
yeah i meant buy :blush: lol

Mine is only just over a month old too. It is that are not calibrated properley, I am sure of it. As long as you know where 1.025 is you should be ok. Keep checking it.

i got myself a refractometer 2 weeks ago, works great. my hydrometer is now collecting dust lol.

Can anyone rate a conductivity computer type one? hoping to get one for my fish tank computer soon!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back