I had to spread the word...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

DutchMuch

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Fertilizers...
In aquascapes this is what we depend on, well this and pressurized Co2.
Fertilizers are one of the key components in any planted tank or aquascape, as they bring nutrients to the plants via root system or through the leaves of the plant(s). Nowadays everyone who is new to the planted tank or aquascaping hobby usually researches what fertilizers they should use, and most of those people do not do in depth research on what to use, what are the ingredients of the fertilizer they are going to pick out, etc just many mistakes can or are being made. I just wanted to give this fertilizer a shout out basically, because it is the best and most affordable aquarium plant fertilizer on the market as of right now. Ill give the information on it in a second, but for now ill explain my experience with it.
I first started using this fert about 3 months ago and it was the best thing I have done, and it was really cool to see in the long run. My plants before this where growing, still thriving, but had some deficiency's that I knew in some ways I could cure but then I looked into what was my current fertilizer at the time, flourish, the ingredients were all mixed, really weird, I had like 10 bottles of different fertilizers that were about 20 bucks each. So I got to researching and found nothing. Nothing that could solve my problems! But then I talked to one of my Good and most Respected friends ClownPlanted on theplantedtank and he said "hey check this out, I got it worked like a charm" and he sent me a link (ill send it to you soon! :)) of this fert, so I clicked it went to the website checked the ingredients, double checked if it was "good" or approved on the Barr report and it was easily passed as amazing, so I bought it for the 20$ it costs, thinking well there goes more money down the drain, but I was experimenting at the time so I guess I had nothing to lose lol. So when it arrived it had 2 500ml bottles, the bottles were the ones that we used to mix weed eater fluid in lol, so I did as the directions said, blah blah. 3 weeks after using these fertilizers my plant growth I could just tell, increased easily 5x more than they were growing. deficiency's were all gone, and even today I look at my scape (you can see in my journal(s)) and value how good it looks thanks to this fert.
No this isn't an advertisement even though it may sound like it, im just hoping that more people will look into this and try it out, a new Friend of mine who im going to call Snail on the forum ordered his/hers and should receive it soon hopefully, he/she can most likely tell you how it works later on :).
So lets get to the details and specs. This is straight from their website.
Link: http://nilocg.com/diy-ei-liquid-fertilizer/
dsc-0167__01339.1435090240.1280.1280.jpg

IMG_0492__11489.1484286510.1280.1280.JPG

Product Description
Want to dose ferts but the cost of liquid ferts is too expensive???
Dont want to go through the hassle of mixing dry ferts yourself???

Then this is for YOU!!!!!!

What you get- 2x 500ml dosing bottles(1x Micros, 1x Macros)
3 sets of fertilizers packets( so you are essentially getting enough to make 1500ml of both micros and macros)

It will be shipped without water, all you will need to do is add 500ml of RO water to each bottle. When the solution in each bottle runs out, simply add the refill packet to the appropriate dosing bottle and add 500ml of RO water and you are good to go again.

Dosing Instructions:
Add 5ml per 20 gallons of water for each the micro and macro 3x per week on alternating days per the EI dosing instructions.

How long will this last me??
20 Gallon tank- roughly 2 years
40 gallon tank- roughly 1 year
80 gallon tank- roughly 6 months
and so on...

Who needs GH booster:

Unless you have very hard water it is very likely that the addition of Gh booster is necessary. Even if you do have hard water unless you know the concentration of both calcium and magnesium adding some GH booster is suggested.

Why is GH booster suggested:

GH booster will add magnesium and calcium as well as add extra potassium which are all very important to plant growth.

Special thanks to WETS dosing calculator:

Warning: Micro solutions will sometimes grow mold, to prevent this you should either refrigerate it or add 10ml excel to the solution

Concentrations(as per wets calculator):
Micro-
B- 0.09ppm
Cu 0.01ppm
Fe 0.50 ppm
Mg 0.11 ppm
Mn 0.14 ppm
Mo 0.0038 ppm
Zn 0.03 ppm
dGH 0.02

Macros:
N- 7.5ppm
P- 1.3ppm
K- 4.27ppm

Product Reviews:
BTW THEY ARE ALL FIVE STARS!
  1. Just what the plants needed
    IcoRating5.gif
  2. Posted by Brenden Burnham on Apr 3rd 2017
  3. I must say its for sure a difference for the better. I was using Seachem flourish products and I have been using this stuff for about a week now. My plants have for sure like this stuff more and are growing at a better rate. It is also so much cheaper than the other options out there. Just add the RO water and done. For my 60 gallon tank the amount in this package will last about a year and half which is amazing. I also love the dosing bottles it comes with. Just squeeze the amount and pour. No more over dosing by using caps for amount. When I need more I will only get from NilocG. Best stuff out there.
  • Crank it up!!!
    IcoRating5.gif

Posted by justin gililland on Mar 23rd 2017

been dosing thrive and flourish excel alternating days but decided to swap to EI and after calculating it up I am dosing a 7.5g cube and 5g cylinder with 1.5ml of each solution alternating only been using it a few days so lets give it a week or so to show some real results... but by my calculations by dosing 3ml a day the bottles combined will last me 333 consecutive days not counting sundays.... and they give 3 packs of each micro/macro so that's 3 total fills per bottle measuring up to a whopping 999 doses not counting sundays and +- depending on if I have to up my dose which in the future I may have to when everything grows in but we will wait to make that call and all to $22+ shipping.... thanks again colin
  • Amazing results in days.
    IcoRating5.gif

Posted by BRANDON ESPARSEN on Mar 7th 2017

My plants have barely got by using flourish comp and some other products. But using this has already made my plants look brighter and green. It's more cost effective and simple to use.

I have the 2 bottles with pumps and do 12 squirts each in to my 125. So this will last me alot longer compared to other products.

I also used purified water as the mixture. I will order more when I need it.
  • Immediate Results!
    IcoRating5.gif

Posted by Matthew Shoenfelt on Feb 28th 2016

I have been using this product for the past four days. I have since noticed that my water sprite has regained it's full color. My Amazon Sword has become a more dark green and is no longer suffering from any deficiencies. My Rotala Rotundifolia and Ludwigia Repens have both started sprouting side shoots. All in all for the price you can't find anything more effective.
  • so far best ive used.
    IcoRating5.gif

Posted by Unknown on Feb 10th 2016

I've not been using this product very long, a week, just from this use, my tanks have no more algae. It's all gone.
  • A+
    IcoRating5.gif

Posted by Unknown on Jan 27th 2016

Best products and customer service in the industry.... This is the best way to feed your plants all they need without measuring each component individualy! Simple effective and cost efficient
  • Seems to be just what I wanted
    IcoRating5.gif

Posted by John on Oct 27th 2015

*I JUST started using this in my tank* Very user friendly packaging tells you put part A into bottle A and B into B etc. LOVE that! Didn't want to have to muck about with grams of this and that. I like it a lot so far and there 'seems' to be some new growth occurring already (3 days) I'll try to come back and re-eval after a few weeks.
  • very well put together product
    IcoRating5.gif

Posted by michael walsh on Aug 11th 2015

after using seachem for over two years, and not wanting to mix my own chems to EI.
    I found NilocG had what I was looking for. now I'm saving all kinds of money
    and time. fast delivery, love the bottles, make doseing a breeze.
    a small startup business to support, is always best in my book!

michael
  • Fast results
    IcoRating5.gif

Posted by Sam on Jun 20th 2015

It's only been a week & it brought my hygro back to love & everything else finally has new growth!

Have any of you used this as well before? Please do post your opinion on it here I would love to read it.
If you are new to hearing about this fert I definitely recommend you try it out.

I'm still using leaf zone and flourish, got a couple big bottles,

I am planning to get dry ferts next.

I'm still using leaf zone and flourish, got a couple big bottles,

I am planning to get dry ferts next.
This is more expensive but it is custom, this is what Tom barr uses. http://nilocg.com/dryfertilizer/ (idk about he exact brand I meant condition of fertz, sure he does though lol)
There are others that are sold separately such as K2SO4
This one I recommend though if you go that route http://nilocg.com/ei-based-npk-csm-b/
Contents:
This package is designed to be used with the EI(Estimative Index) dosing method.

Package includes:

-2lb KNO3

-1/2lb KH2PO4

-1/2lb K2SO4

-1/2lb CSM+B
Good luck though man :D

I've been thinking of trying dry ferts, I know my tap water isn't great for plants as it is almost like RO water. I will probably give this a try and hope its simple enough for me to understand.

its very simple :) Well its only as simple as reading English lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back