I Gots Me An 80g

Start asking around at your neighbors with ponds or garage sales and try to find a small pond fountain and pump. Then you could build your own pre-filter for the pump and it would make a huge difference in making your pond more suitable for your fish. Here is my blog on a DIY pre-filter that I use. These can be made for around $10.00 but you may be able to get used parts for it from the same person that you get the used fountain. http://goldlenny.blogspot.com/2007/03/pond...lgae-bloom.html

Here's my blog with lots of other info on ponds. Read over all of the articles in the link to AquaArticles. http://goldlenny.blogspot.com/2007/03/pond...d-diy-pond.html

If you are not near a power source, then the pump might be more difficult although there are solar powered fountains but they can be expensive due to the batteries used to store the power for nighttime running of the pump. Without a pump to provide circulation and aeration, you will not be able to keep goldfish in your mini-pond as they put out too much waste and will quickly pollute the water.

If you put some more floating plants like anacharis, which is inexpensive and easy to grow, that will help with providing O2 to the pond and removing the nitrogenous waste (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) from the pond. Continue to let the duckweed grow as it will only grow as much as the ecology of the pond allows. If the pond has lots of nutrients in the water, then you need lots of plants.

If you just go with some smaller fish like WCMM's, Zebra Danio's, etc., at least you could move them inside during the winter since your mini-pond will not overwinter very well and you could overwinter the smaller fish in a 20G tank where pond goldfish would need a much larger tank to overwinter in.

whats wrong with an 80g pond can i ask. i cant afford a huge massive super duper pond like you gys i have. im 12 years old and living on a fiver a week. im only wanting a couple of goldfish and this is PLENTY big enough for 3 or 4. (20g each)

J4MES
Still think so?

so without a pump could i safely keep 10 or so minnows?

J4MRS

You could probably have many more minnows (WCMM's, Zebra Danios, etc.). A big school of each would probably do well and if you have enough floating plants, they'll likely breed and you'll have a never ending supply of small fish for your pond. Remember to bring them in each winter.

A single goldfish, when grown is equal to over 500 1" fish which is why we stress not putting goldfish in a small tank or pond. If your 80G was an inside tank with lots of filtration, you could have a few fancy goldfish but for an outside pond with no filtration, a goldfish won't make it very long.

Buy some sunfish =) bluegill or something or another would be an interesting addition... Much better than goldies (nearly every pond has goldies/koi, spice it up). ;*)

ok then, i will have a think about it, i saw some interesting grass carp at lfs, doubt i could keep those though! :crazy:

J4MES

Most reactions

trending

Back