i got some dwarf gouramis

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rsz

Cheddar: classic or cliche?
Reaction score
i just got me a pair of dwarf gouramis :D . they're blue neon dwarf gouramis :huh:

technically it's my 2nd male though, because when i brought back the first pair (a male and a female), i noticed that the male was missing an eye :X since they were supposed to be my focal point, and also i read that you should get deformed fish, i took him back (i kept the female). the lfs was dead good and replaced him for me. do you guys reckon i did the right thing to take 'one eye' back? i decided that was best :/

the new guy and the female seem to be ok together B) B) , although she's a bit shy :* they're soooooooo sweet :wub: :lol:

I want to someday try to breed gouramis (bubblenesting is really neat looking). I have one male dwarf gourami now and hope to be able to get a female but I will need a new tank first. I have heard that they can be aggressive when mating. Not only to each other but also with the other fish in the tank. You are so lucky to get two nice beautiful fishies!

since you don't know how he became one-eyed (could have been another fihs, but could be from a disease....), taking him back was probably for the best.

Congradulations on the new fish, rsz. :thumbs:

You are very lucky to have gotten a pair of those beautiful fish. Around here, they do not seem to sell the females, much to my dismay. :-( Do you plan to breed them?

I'd have kept the one eyed fish, but that's just because I'd feel sorry for him. (My crooked loach is one of my special little pets. :lol: )

i felt so guilty taking the poor fella back :( he looked so nice when he swam this way --> ;)

anyhow, now i got me a BEE-U-TEE-FULL pair :wub: :wub:

and yes, i do kinda want to breed them :*) :nod: :shifty: hopefully they'll comply :lol:

guppymonkey said:
....I have heard that they can be aggressive when mating. Not only to each other but also with the other fish in the tank.
Guppymonkey and rsz, when the time comes that you are ready to breed your fish, I will be happy to help you all I can. I've had luck breeding my three spot gouramis, but it took a few tries to get it right.

With gouramis, you need to have a seperate tank where they can breed and then where the fry can grow. They are not too aggressive while breeding (from everything I read, bettas are much more so.) but they will not breed with others in the tank. And then too, other fish will eat the eggs or young. :nod:

They are wonderful to watch when they are building the nest and actually breeding. :D

although i'm not intending on doing it right now (mum n dad are against me getting another tank... and i've only got 1!!! :grr: :sly: :sad:), but what sort of conditions would i need? what food?? i know about the floating plants of course :D . what size tank too? i wouldn't want a huge tank just for breeding purposes (if i have a tank, it has to have something in it... all the time :shifty: :D i cant stand an empty tank)

rsz said:
although i'm not intending on doing it right now (mum n dad are against me getting another tank... and i've only got 1!!! :grr: :sly: :sad:), but what sort of conditions would i need? what food?? i know about the floating plants of course :D . what size tank too? i wouldn't want a huge tank just for breeding purposes (if i have a tank, it has to have something in it... all the time :shifty: :D i cant stand an empty tank)
If you are new to fishkeeping, rsz, I suggest you start breeding with livebearers such as guppies or platties first. :nod: The fry are quite a bit larger and easier to raise, but once you get used to them it is not hard to move on to egglayers.

A 10 gallon tank is the most useful size for most people to have since it is not too big. It will work for breeding many fish including gouramis, corys, and livebearers. I use them myself.

If you haven't had fish for too long, rsz, I agree with your parents. Once you have proven that you can take care of the fish, keeping them clean and healthy, I'm sure they will change their mind. Keeping living things is a long term committment and they probably just want to make sure you are ready for it. :D

i've had fish for years now, but i've only had my tropical tank for a year. i might try livebearers first, if you reckon that's a good idea. hmm... :shifty: i always liked swordtails :D

rsz ^_^

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back