I Got Me A .....

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Crazy fishes

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi all,

I got me a PAR meter and am starting my experiments to see the range of light conditions in which certain corals thrive and which are tolerated. I did some preliminary measurements and I was surprised to find that a few millimeters of water really cut down the light levels and that even with a 150W halide over my D&D 24g that at the bottom of the tank at the front the PAR is ~50 micromoles/m[sup]2[/sup]s. I have also discovered that aquarays don't have the same penetration as halides; the PAR from the LEDs is comparable for the first 6 inches or so then it dramatically deteriorates to next to nothing. If people are interested I can continue posting my findings as we do have a reasonable amount of questions related to lighting and LEDs.

Merry christmas all and all the best for the new year.

Joe

Yes, keep posting as it is interesting. That is an expensive little meter you got there.

Some may even go as far to say it is day light robbery but I love this interest so much that it makes it worth while. Also I can inform people about PAR available by different light sources and at various depths. I will keep you up to date and hopefully we can generate a kind of index/ table for others to use. I have T5s, LEDs and halides all in use so can generate data for all the major lighting modalities.

All the best until next time

Joe

Dare i ask how much is one? This will be interesting. :good:

If you are interested they are for sale on http://omnima.co.uk/store/catalog/Apogee-Instruments-orderby0-p-1-mf-5.html?gclid=CNyduZG5haYCFQ4f4QodRUHxnw.
Happy browsing

Joe

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back