I got a new aquarium cleaner and I’m kinda afraid of it

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Does the water have to be on to get suction going? I just thought that was an option and not something you had to do...
The water has to be on to start the suction. But as long as the tank it's hooked to is lower than your aquarium, you can turn the faucet off once it gets going.

My 150g tank is only slightly higher than the bathroom sink nearby. So I get it going, unscret it from the faucet, stick it in a bucket, and move it to the toilet, which is a lot lower than the sink. I hook the attachment under the toilet sink and let it drain.

The water has to be on to start the suction. But as long as the tank it's hooked to is lower than your aquarium, you can turn the faucet off once it gets going.

My 150g tank is only slightly higher than the bathroom sink nearby. So I get it going, unscret it from the faucet, stick it in a bucket, and move it to the toilet, which is a lot lower than the sink. I hook the attachment under the toilet sink and let it drain.
Any fish that goes down it can then be netted out of the toilet bowl, that is genius

I also have one - once the syphon has begun I disconnect from tap and use gravity to empty tank, saves a bit of water this way.

Last edited:
Any fish that goes down it can then be netted out of the toilet bowl, that is genius
It's weird, but I've never once had a fish get sucked into the python. A regular pipe, yes, but not the python. I think that's because the big intake develops very little suction pressure.

It's weird, but I've never once had a fish get sucked into the python. A regular pipe, yes, but not the python. I think that's because the big intake develops very little suction pressure.
If hoping to rescue fish in the bowl, you would have to block the output with a sponge filter (taking great care that it does not flush). Toilets (or WCs) are also siphons, if the water flow into the bowl is great enough, the siphon will start, and the entire bowl will empty into the drain pipe. This is how they flush.

When I bought my first large tank (a 90 gallon) in 1995, they sold me one of these Python water changers...I have never looked back. I would not have fish tanks were it not for this appliance. There are other identical brands, the Aqueon is good (same basic principle), and some members here have made their own DIY with a hose. The downside is that it does waste tap water when you are siphoning the tank water out, because the cold water tap (don't waste hot water draining the tank) has to be on to create the suction. But otherwise, a great device. When I moved to my previous house, I needed extensions and had 75 feet in order to reach from the fish room to the laundry sink.
There is minimum waste of water if you use gravity to drain your tanks, instead of the siphon

Does the water have to be on to get suction going? I just thought that was an option and not something you had to do...
Nope...place the siphon in the tank, use mouth suction to begin draining, and let gravity do the rest

It takes approximately 7 seconds for the tank water to reach the end you mouth-suctioned, so no fear of getting tank water in your mouth...unless you like that sort of thing

Neither have I, because I use a knee-high nylon over the siphon end

I refuse to do WC's without my trusty Python

Most reactions

trending

Back