I got a crayfish by mistake. please help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I know that's true of most crayfish, but is it true of Mexican dwarfs? I've read that they're a little easier to get along with.

Yes, it's the same with the Mexican dwarf crayfish.
There was once it caught my female Apistogramma killing the fish that was already weaken with sickness.
Another time, it tried to grab my Balloon Pearl Gouramis.
I think if they have the chance to catch the fish they will do so.
I guess this is their natural behaviour especially if they have experience in catching fish in the past.
They could also be learning through experience.

I honestly don't think I will ever find him. When I put him in he was about the size of a grain of rice. He was very tiny and I'm pretty sure a fish ate him. I hope that's not what happened but I'm pretty sure that it did.

How big is your other fish where you keep with the crayfish?
If they are not too big nor aggressive fish, then it may still be safe.

I've kept wild native crayfish, and although they are mostly scavengers in nature, they will eat anything they can catch. I didn't realize the Mexicans were that way. Good bit of info to file away.

Crayfish are nice and interesting to watch. If I have extra tank, I may keep them with some top level fish to prevent mosquito from breeding in the tank.
If the crayfish is big, keep some small and fast moving fish where they won't be able to catch them.
But they tend to behave like cannibals as they may kill each other. You need a lot of hiding place to prevent them from killing each other.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back