I found two CPD fry! What now?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

hazyvonne

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
If you've seen my previous post you know that I recently got my very first fish - 6 Celestial Pearl Danios. They've been chilling out in my (cycled) quarantine tank for about 3 weeks now. This morning I went to feed them and saw something tiny moving in my tank - I could hardly believe my eyes but there were 2 fry! They are free-swimming already so not completely newborn. Now I read lots of times that the adults will happily eat anything that will fit in their mouths and that certainly is true for these two. So I managed to get them out of the tank and into a plastic container. I ground some flakes and daphnia into dust and sprinkled a little bit in there and also added an air stone.

But now I don't know what else to do. How do I keep the water parameters correct in such a tiny container? Just daily water changes hopefully without sucking the poor fry out? Will they be ok on ground-into-dust food? I'm also worried about keeping the water temperature stable.

The other idea I had was to simply move my timeline up a little. I had planned on keeping the CPDs in the quarantine tank for another week. But I could move them to the main tank now and let the fry live in the quarantine tank until they're big enough not to be eaten. There might be more in there I didn't see (although I guess it's amazing even two survived this long).

What do you guys/gals think?

I had planned on keeping the CPDs in the quarantine tank for another week. But I could move them to the main tank now and let the fry live in the quarantine tank until they're big enough not to be eaten.
This would be what I would do, assuming there have been no health concerns with the CPDs. As you correctly identified the little container is not suitable.

This would be what I would do, assuming there have been no health concerns with the CPDs. As you correctly identified the little container is not suitable.
Thank you for your reply! I actually did a proactive quarantine as recommended by aquariumcoop (dosed them with low levels of medicine in their first week). They have not shown any signs of any illness so far, which is why I'm guessing it should probably be fine to move them to the main tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back