I Found Some Nice Pieces Of Driftwood

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fish-r-fancy

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Okay I just found 2 pieces of driftwood in my woods. Is this safe to use in an aquarium? How long will it take before it will be water logged (I was thinking that since both pieces are pretty small I could just burry some of it in sand and put pebbles over it until it's water logged). If it is safe for aquarim use then what shoulds I do to prepare it for the tank? I currently have them soaking in a pan of cool water and right before I put them in the tank I was going to boil them. Is there anything else that I could do? Oh and 1 more question I wanted to put the wood in because I'm getting neon tetras and I was told that this would soften the water. Will it actually make a difference even though I'm not putting in a ton? Thank you everybody for any help.

You must be certain that the wood is free from pollutants but other than that what I do is soak it in vinegar water (one side at a time if you can't get all of it in the bucket) for a day. After that I boil it for 3 hours to kill any bad stuffs and to start getting rid of the tannins. Then I let it cool and place it in the tank. To have a piece of wood become water logged depends on the size of the wood. It can take 10 years for the larger pieces! Gluck!

You must be certain that the wood is free from pollutants

How do I check to make sure that the wood is free from pollutants? Okay it's getting late now so I'll leave it soaking in regular water and then tommorow I'll add some vinegar to the water. How much should I add? Then maybe this weekend I'll be able to boil it for 3 hours and finally put it in the tank. Thank you for all of your help.

10 years is no joke. i have a piece of drift wood mounted on a slab of lsate, the piece of wood it self is abut 7 inchs tick at the most and about 2 ft tall.

its ben boiled 4 times, its been soaked in water for 3 weeks. and it still doesnt sink. well right now it has no choice. i set it in the tank, burried the slate and added 3 bigger rocks to the top of it that keep it down.

Well then it looks like I'm in for a challenge. Since my pieces of driftwood aren't very large at all I think I'm just going to bury the ends in sand and put some nice pebbles on top to weigh it down.

Most reactions

trending

Back