I found fry it my outdoor pond.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I found fry in my outdoor ponds and im hoping they are baby wild mollies and not gambusia because wild mollies only live a year so I want to have a continuous cycle of them. Im hoping I get sailfin male babys.
That's so cool! Keep us posted. Do you have pics?

They hide alot but this is the best I can do. Also there is a toad that lives in my pond.
15914897765368795302363976011399.jpg
15914898684925495035182023999517.jpg

Im pretty sure that they are molly fry because gambusia or mosquito fish fry are longer and not as plump like molly fry. Also gambusia dont give birth to as many fry as mollies and if even one gambusia fry survived I would be surprised because giant mollies are big and would probably eat them.

I found fry in my outdoor ponds and im hoping they are baby wild mollies and not gambusia because wild mollies only live a year so I want to have a continuous cycle of them. Im hoping I get sailfin male babys.
I'm not sure where you got the information about the molly lifespan but they can live longer than 1 year. Most mollies can easily live for 3 or 4 years.

As for keeping Gambusia with other fish, that is a bad thing to do because the Gambusia are aggressive and will eat baby fish. Gambusia are also an introduced pest in virtually all countries around the world and should be eradicated except in their natural habitat.

Congrats on the fry. That toad is a cutie. Our pond has creek chubs, leopard frogs, and a few goldfish. (It's an irrigation pond, 50' wide and about 6' deep). The Badgerling told me she saw some fry the other day. We did have it stocked with bluegill and bass, but they all died during our unusually long winter.

I put the gambusia in the pond before I knew that I had wild mollies in my backyard but they get along fine with all of the other fish. They also eat mosquitos which is good I dont want any on my backporch. I also sometimes get the gambusia out of the pond and feed them to my bass and turtle.

Mollies eat more mozzie larvae than Gambusia do. I tested this theory years ago when the government was still spreading Gambusia around the country. I found mollies, guppies and swordtails ate significantly more mozzie larvae than Gambusia did. This is partly due to the larger size of the mollies and swordtails compared to the Gambusia, (eg: bigger fish can eat the bigger larvae). But they also ate more in general. Even young/ small mollies and swordtails that were the same size as, or smaller than the Gambusia, ate more mozzie larvae than the Gambusia.

---------------
I have had mollies live for more than 5 years in an aquarium. Maybe in the wild they might be short lived, but in backyard ponds where there are no predators and lots of food, they should last a lot longer.

Ya that is why they released the mollies in the river by my house. They have realley helped with mosquitos.

Ya and there is moss and mosquitos On the land part. I like to have the land because it hides the big filter that I have behind it and it helps to keep the pond clean.I also have leopard frogs that live in the ponds. What im wondering is how the toad got into the pond considering that it is like 2 feet above the ground.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back