The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

bayaan.bawab

Reaction score
hi everyone, iā€™m fairly new to the fish hobby and today was the first time i did a 50% water change without any help from my fellow fish keepers. because the bucket was really heavy i decided to take two trips to the bathtub and back. however, i realize that because of this i only added conditioner to one half of the water. i then added the conditioner i forgot to add into the fish tank- but will the water i forgot the condition hurt my fish? iā€™ll be honest- iā€™m really stressing out here

You should be OK. I have refilled one of my tanks twice in the past 30 years when I forgot the conditioner. I noticed it immediately because of the fish's reaction, and squirted it into the tank. I cannot say they were not impacted in some manner, this seems likely as chlorine does burn fish gills, but they remained alive and for months after.

You'll be just fine.

Although better to treat the water before adding new water to the tank, many people (including myself) with larger tanks will add the conditioner to the tank as it is being filled up.

I can't imagine how I could ever treat hundreds of gallons before adding it to the tanks effectively and time efficient.

If you did this within the last few hours, you can add the conditioner you missed out on now. Do not over dose.

Yes, you will be OK.

Just pay more attention in the future, for your fishes sake. ;)

You'll be just fine.

Although better to treat the water before adding new water to the tank, many people (including myself) with larger tanks will add the conditioner to the tank as it is being filled up.

I can't imagine how I could ever treat hundreds of gallons before adding it to the tanks effectively and time efficient.

If you did this within the last few hours, you can add the conditioner you missed out on now. Do not over dose.
thanks i added the amount i missed and my fish seems fine thanks yā€™all

Many of us have made the same mistake at least once in our fish keeper careers I know I have. It sounds like you have it under control quick enough and depending on what type of fish you have many can tolerate it for a longer time like guppies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back