I feel sick!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

xxamyxx85

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So I was talking to my friend who happened to mention that she has a friend who also keeps fish and that she had a Betta in with goldfish.... well then she sent me a pic, now, I really want to post it but itā€™s someone elseā€™s and I donā€™t have permission as I donā€™t know them so I wonā€™t.....but the Betta really doesnā€™t look good.... it has fin rot and is over the back of the tank on the top of the filter near the surface..... I just canā€™t get the image out my head!

I have just text my friend to tell this woman that he needs to come out of the tank and that I would take him as I have a spare 20l and hopefully get him better then she could make arrangements for another tank for him. Iā€™m waiting to hear.... I feel sick!

So I just heard from her and she said she canā€™t get hold of her friend, she also told me that she wouldnā€™t have done it on purpose as she loves animals and really doesnā€™t know much about fish, which made me feel better about the situation. I have zoomed in on photo so I will post.....
7B07F85A-6564-4EDA-B465-60132307214C.png

She also said that she probably wouldnt want another tank so wouldnā€™t want him back, I really donā€™t want to take another tank on tbh, I guess if she does just hand him over I will have to find a new home for him if/when heā€™s better! I really hope I canā€™t help this little fish.

I hope you can help that poor fish!

Okay so I just spoke to my friend again and her friend is away for the weekend, I feel so frustrated. I really hope she does the right thing. I am just going to continue getting things ready for him regardless of what she decides to do. How long is he likely to survive like this? The bottom of her tank is covered with goldfish poop!!

Ah, I know the feeling, feeling you want to help but canā€™t.

I was in similar position with some of my other halfā€™s family, they had two fancy goldfish in a little 10g tank, bright blue and white substrate and a tiny filter, water changes was once a month!

Tried to persuade them for ages to get a larger tank etc or put them in a friends pond or something like that.

But they always insisted their fish are fine and perfectly happy and was told by other folks this is normal and correct etc etc

So in the end I donated one of my spare tanks, the largest spare I had at the time, a 90l / 23g Fluval Roma tank also a u2 filter and a bunch of fake plants as well.

Tank size not ideal but way better than a 10g.

Set it up for them with the cycled U2 filter and media as well as some substrate I prepared beforehand.

They were happy (because it was all free imho) and told me later they were surprised to see the fish looking perkier and more colours than before after a week or so.

The two Goldfish lived in that for a few years and recently heard one of the goldfish died, had a big lump on its head. Probably a tumour or something.

At least he died more comfortably in a bigger tank than that little 10g.

EDIT - actually now I remember the story better thinking about it, the little tank was on their sideboard / Welsh dresser thing in their dining / kitchen area and now I actually think it was a 5g tank and not a 10g . It was one of these cheap plastic ā€œstarterā€ tanks thingy!:blink:

Last edited:
Ah, I know the feeling, feeling you want to help but canā€™t.

I was in similar position with some of my other halfā€™s family, they had two fancy goldfish in a little 10g tank, bright blue and white substrate and a tiny filter, water changes was once a month!

Tried to persuade them for ages to get a larger tank etc or put them in a friends pond or something like that.

But they always insisted their fish are fine and perfectly happy and was told by other folks this is normal and correct etc etc

So in the end I donated one of my spare tanks, the largest spare I had at the time, a 90l / 23g Fluval Roma tank also a u2 filter and a bunch of fake plants as well.

Tank size not ideal but way better than a 10g.

Set it up for them with the cycled U2 filter and media as well as some substrate I prepared beforehand.

They were happy (because it was all free imho) and told me later they were surprised to see the fish looking perkier and more colours than before after a week or so.

The two Goldfish lived in that for a few years and recently heard one of the goldfish died, had a big lump on its head. Probably a tumour or something.

At least he died more comfortably in a bigger tank than that little 10g.
Itā€™s just so sad, I hate the whole situation. I know I canā€™t save all of them so to make a difference to any Bettas life is good enough for me!
I am surprised at the misinformation out there and the people who choose to ignore good advice. Hopefully that wonā€™t be the case this time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back