I feel like giving up....

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Goldfish4EVER

Reaction score
I've been cycling a tank for 2 months, and it's still not cycled :( I don't get it!!! I feel like just not cycling anymore, but I need to for my fish! What should I do?

I've been cycling a tank for 2 months, and it's still not cycled :( I don't get it!!! I feel like just not cycling anymore, but I need to for my fish! What should I do?
Dang, I’m currently cycling only for 2 weeks already feels so long I’m sorry what are you using for ammonia source and Bacteria

I assume you have no fish in the tank. Did you start with 3ppm ammonia? It's way easier and more accurate to dose ammonia if you use bottle ammonia. Dr Tims sells pure ammonia on amazon.

Last edited:
Hello Goldfish. Why not just get some filter material from the local fish store and instantly cycle your tank? Buy a few hardy fish like Guppies, Platys or any of the species of Minnows from the fish store and ask them to include a little of their filter material.

10 Tanks

Last edited:
Have you tested your water direct from the tap?

Your ammonia might be from the tapwater itself...its not unheard of.

Get three clean mugs and put tapwater in each.......mug 1 water as soon as you turn the tap on and test that one, mug 2 let the water run for a few minutes to clear the pipes then fill the mug and test that one, finally fill the 3rd mug and leave for 24 hours and test that one.

Also go onto your water company's website, enter your zipcode and find out not only the full make up of your area's water but also check to see if any work has been done, if any mains leaks have occured and if any excessive water drainage from roads/fields etc due to heavy rain has got into the water supply. All these things can have a detrimental effect on what comes out of your tap and can affect the cycle process.

Remember also a fishless cycle can take 7-9 weeks and frequently longer than that and a fish in cycle can take 9-14 weeks and usually longer to complete

Try not to be downhearted or disillusioned. If the water from the tap is at fault, then there are ways and means to deal with that....but first do the 3 mug tests and check the water company website for your own peace of mind incase there is a hidden issue there that you might not have been aware of. Also when on the water company's website sign up for email alerts for your street/zipcode so that should anything happen such as maintenance or leaks etc happen, they will automatically send you an email so that you can delay water changes or make other plans for water changes if required.

Hello again Goldfish. Your public water supply is fine. If the local fish store is able to keep fish, then so should you. You can be 99.9 percent sure the fish store and you are getting water from the same source. You can safely cycle your tank instantly with nothing more than material from an established tank.

10 Tanks

You would be better to find a local fishkeeper to cycle media with, as stores do have a lot of fish passing through, and that can lead to problems. This isn't a very 2020s thing to say, but this all works better if we can find other human fishkeepers and talk to them, even on social media.

Hello again Goldfish. Your public water supply is fine. If the local fish store is able to keep fish, then so should you. You can be 99.9 percent sure the fish store and you are getting water from the same source. You can safely cycle your tank instantly with nothing more than material from an established tank.

10 Tanks
With all due respect, your tapwater might be fine but you're in a different State to the OP and in the State where the OP is, they have had some pretty major weather issues lately that could easily have affected the water supply and water quality/chemistry such as adding more chemicals than usual to keep the water safe and drinkable.......water companies can and do change their water chemistry when mains burst, pipe flushing, poorly controlled flood water entering the system and other maintenance.

It never hurts to check the water from the tap....if only for peace of mind.

You would be better to find a local fishkeeper to cycle media with, as stores do have a lot of fish passing through, and that can lead to problems. This isn't a very 2020s thing to say, but this all works better if we can find other human fishkeepers and talk to them, even on social media.
I have donated plenty of media in the past, doesn't help the OP as I am other side of the pond but maybe someone can help.

If you do use filter media from another tank, make sure that it's from a trusted source. I don't know if I would trust a store's.
Fast growing floating plants like salvinia minima, anacharis, water lettuce, Amazon frogbit, red root floaters, water sprite, water wisteria etc can solve your ammonia problem.

As asked earlier in the thread, is this a fishless or fish-in cycle?

What temp is the tank? Do you have a bubbler going? If a fishless cycle, did you dechlor the water when you started?

As already stated, using a pure ammonia source instead of rotting fish food is much less complicated, and more accurate

I'm doing a fish less cycling However I'm not sure how to get rid of ammonia if that makes sense? My nitrite levels are 0, so why are my ammonia levels so high?(0.50ppm forever)

I'm doing a fish less cycling However I'm not sure how to get rid of ammonia if that makes sense? My nitrite levels are 0, so why are my ammonia levels so high?(0.50ppm forever)
What temp is the tank? Do you have a bubbler going? If a fishless cycle, did you dechlor the water when you started?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back