I Don't Like Your Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

stanleo

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Now that I have your attention I have an important discussion topic. Why are there so many journal threads or "pics of my tanks" threads that get hundreds of visitors but only a handful of people saying anything. Negative critiques done in a constructive way can teach someone with good intentions. Positive feedback can show the insecure aquarist that they really are on the right track and encourage them to ask more questions. So let's stop listening to our mothers when they if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything. Instead find a different way to teach the right thing to.

Without mistakes we will not learn and in this hobby no one will know where they made the mistake unless they are told.

Good point well made. Doesn't only happen over tank critiques. Many posts asking for help or seeking opinion/thoughts on different topics often hit 50+ views without any input.

In life there are no failures.....just lessons learned

Sometimes there's nothing readers want to offer or maybe they are just looking out of curiosity. 
If people do want to say something then I think the emphasis should be on "constructive" comments. Some people just don't know how to make a point without putting someone down or making them feel stupid. And I speak from experience of being on the receiving end of such demeaning comments.

Well, its also a pretty subjective thing here. I have always felt that the only person who has to like how a tank looks is the owner. And what about the fact that not all hobbyists are equal in what they can afford to put in a tank?

There is a difference between asking about good aquascaping techniques or focal points, color or texture etc., it is another to ask what people think of your tank as you are in essence asking people "Do you like it?" And many people would prefer not to say "No." so they say nothing. If you want to get advice, then phrase your title and whats in the post that way.

And don't forget that a lot of people do like to look simply to see what other folks have done and/or to get ideas for their own tanks rather than to comment.

Well, I'll be the one to own up...I'm the type who clicks on the topics and doesn't comment.

For the most part it's because I'm unbelievably lazy (I actually prefer to think of it as an extreme form of energy efficiency) and the best I can muster at times is a mouse click. Moving both my hands to the keyboard just seems like an effort a lot of the time, so I don't do it. Sorry about that.

Sometimes, though, when I can be bothered to type, I just don't have anything to contribute. If it's someone asking to comment/critique a tank setup, often times, I might not like it, so I keep shtum because I'm not in the business of hurting someones feelings if they've put a huge amount of effort into getting their tank the way they like it.

For all other reasons I don't comment, see reason number 1... 

I'm also guilty of being one of those who frequently click but don't comment. A lot of the time I log on after a long day at work and simply don't have any intelligence left over to make any useful comments. Most of the time, I simply browse for ideas for my own tank, or just want to view the pretty pictures as stress relief.

Also, I agree that constructive criticism can be useful, but it's very easy for comments to be misconstrued/misunderstood over the net. Attempts at constructive criticism can very easily come across as unjustified attacks, and I think this makes some people reluctant.

I also don't comment, at least as much as I feel I should with how much stuff I look at. I feel bad if I tell multiple people the same thing, even if it is genuine..I just can't think of much to say even if I really do like the tank :(

A lot of times, i click and see if i can help, tbh if its really long and not intriguing to me i dont read it. I do go pretty extensive if its the type of fish i like to keep haha

Usually, i think a lot of people would agree with me if they know me lol a lot of comments seem like im attacking or insulting the OP and they sometimes take offense, i obviously dont mean it that way and im just trying to help but a lot of times people take it that way its just how i talk on a keyboard haha

People get annoyed when I say " Those fish shouldn't live there " when they're expecting " OMG, nice tank!!! :D "
So normally I sit there and send them bad vibes. :p

I live by the what works for some many not work for others...

I am guilty of not posting often, because i am a live and let live person, unless you are being outright cruel, then i may have something to say (and i do try to be nice about it) I only comment on tanks i really like, and i mean really like. Cause commenting on someones tank i dont like is not something i do, nor do i think i should do either. Tanks are personal things, what i like and what someone else likes would be different.

There are some people here i just dont even open their threads, why, because they annoy me and i just really cant be bothered.

For me i post my tanks to share what i am proud of. On my threads, posting criticism is your choice, but it will either be ignored or defended, cause at the end of the day it is my tank and i like it just the way it is, and wether you do or not is really irrelevant (sorry but its true)
Now if i posted a tank and actually ASKED for input, then you need to accept other peoples opinions. But you will notice that on my threads i rarely do that, i feel i have been a aquarist long enough to know what i want and what works for me.

Ok I just became guilty of it Lol. I can't figure out a way to say "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Without sounding rude and condescending over the internet. So I now get it.

stan, I feel for you, so

Is that your ugly looking tank in your avatar pic?  For one its too dark, the fish are too small, so is the tank for that matter, it looks like it was planted by a 5 year old and I don't like the way it looks at all. For Pete's sake get a book on aquascaping.

Have a nice day
smile.png

TwoTankAmin said:
stan, I feel for you, so

Is that your ugly looking tank in your avatar pic?  For one its too dark, the fish are too small, so is the tank for that matter, it looks like it was planted by a 5 year old and I don't like the way it looks at all. For Pete's sake get a book on aquascaping.

Have a nice day
smile.png
rofl.gif

rofl.gif

rofl.gif

TwoTankAmin said:
stan, I feel for you, so

Have a nice day
smile.png
Now that's just mean. LOL 
tongue2.gif

When I go into that section, I'm mostly looking to get inspired, get ideas, or look for information on certain techniques/builds. So if I dont reply, I probably did enjoy your page but didn't want to spam the thread with "nice tank!". There are many people that are very good at aquascaping here, so assuming that the lack of comments is negative would be a wrong assumption to say.

I dont care what other people think of my tanks, it's not for them, it's for my fish (and me to look at). As long as my fish are swimming merrily around, it doesn't matter much else.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back