I don't know if the plants should be this tall

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bicyclemaster

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys, a got a low tech 10 gallon tank that gets daily fertilizers and I also got a diy co2 injection going on. From what I see most of the plants are doing quite well but I'm not sure if I should let them get so long. I believe that the rotala rotundiflora, coin leaf, macrandra mini and ceylon should generaly stay at aroung 10-15cm (4-6 inch) but a few of mine are at 30cm (12 inch). This isn't exactly a problem but these tall ones started to coil at some point. They grow in a spiral shape and as a beginner I don't exactly know why. I added 4 photos.

Attachments

• 20211214_221038.jpg
    20211214_221038.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 20211214_221047.jpg
    20211214_221047.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 20211214_221117.jpg
    20211214_221117.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 20211214_221050.jpg
    20211214_221050.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 98
Thanks fo the reply. Well, I want them to be tall but I'm not sure if it's normal for them to be this high.

very nice tank. You might consider entering the March Tank of the Month contest which will feature tanks sized at 16 gallons and smaller.

As already noted, stem plants will continue to grow if light and nutrients are adequate; the alternat5ive is dead plants. Stem plants need to be regularly pruned; cut off the growing ends and stick the cut ends in the substrate. Pull up the existing stems once you have cut off the growing tips. Or you can leave them, sometimes they will divide from the node below the cut and two stems will grow up. But whichever, the stems will grow toward the light permanently.

my cabomba stretched out and reached the top of the tank in like a week because i did not give it enough sun..

very nice tank. You might consider entering the March Tank of the Month contest which will feature tanks sized at 16 gallons and smaller.
Hello, thank you so much for the kind word! I never thought of my tank as beautiful but thank you. How can I enter the contest?

Around the first if March, you will see a banner announcing the start of the entry period. Just click on it, read the rules, and post your entry.

As already noted, stem plants will continue to grow if light and nutrients are adequate; the alternat5ive is dead plants. Stem plants need to be regularly pruned; cut off the growing ends and stick the cut ends in the substrate. Pull up the existing stems once you have cut off the growing tips. Or you can leave them, sometimes they will divide from the node below the cut and two stems will grow up. But whichever, the stems will grow toward the light permanently.
Thank yoou!! I will keep an eye on them and prune them when needed. I thought that they always divide into 2 stems after you cut them but I realized that it just depends on the plant :)). I'll just leave some of them very tall because they make a nice effect and the rest will become a jungle. Thanks again for the help!

Thank yoou!! I will keep an eye on them and prune them when needed. I thought that they always divide into 2 stems after you cut them but I realized that it just depends on the plant :)). I'll just leave some of them very tall because they make a nice effect and the rest will become a jungle. Thanks again for the help!
If you end up with a significant surplus, you could try selling them online or trading with local aquarists. I've had great success with selling my extras Online! Stem plants are a huge hit

Edited for typo*

If you end up with a significant surplus, you could try selling them online or trading with local aquarists. I've had great success with selling my extras Online! Stem plants are a huge hit

Edited for typo*
Yea, I'm already on some local groups where peope sell plants and trade. If I end up having too many plants of course I'll try selling or trading some but I still don't like how my aquarium looks and I want some plants in certain spots so I'll wait a bit. Thanks for the reply!

I must just say, although late, that tank is BEAUTIFUL

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back