I Desperately Need Help :(

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nofishinginmytank

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Last night one if my guppies was looking stressed and struggling to swim. He would wobble up to the surface gasp for air then sink to the bottom and lie there. This morning he was dead, after lots of research I think he had swim bladder :( however my male platy was acting the same today I was desperate to save him, I spent all day scooping him up from the bottom, bringing him up for air, helping him swim and hand feeding him. He seemed a lot better so I left him for a few hours came upstairs and he's died. Another guppy is acting the same, gasping for breath and hiding behind the heater and struggling to swim. I put treatment in this morning and cleaned half the tank :( what's going on I sp upset :(

Perhaps internal parasites?

Here is what TTA said on my thread. i posted with the same symptoms.

Gennerally swimming/balance issues are related to swim bladder problems. Usually this is the symptom of something else such as internal parasites/worms, some form of infection or constipation. The latter is often the most common cause. Diagnosing this is easy- the fish will not be pooping and eventually will bloat up and stop eating.

Diagnosing internal parasites can normally be done because it will cause stringy and white colored poop. Worms are harder as usually there are usually no visable signs except for Camallanus where you will see them hanging out the anus.

Bacterial infections are often not in the swim bladder. Instead they are nearby which can cause internal swelling which then puts pressure on the bladder.

As you can see, diagnosing can be an issue. And this is all complicated by such problems being caused by brain damage usually caused by a startled fish bolting head first into the glass. Unless you witness this, you would have little way to know it happened. Unfortunately, I had this happen with a lovely discus. It spent the final half year of its life in its own tank living facing down as it could not right itself. If you betta is in with other fish I would suggest moving it to an H tank so there is no danger of other fish going after it.  This will just stress her and that, in turn, will further weaken her immune system.
I now think it is brain damage for my poor betta, as I watched for any signs of worms. I'm still watching, though.
And as Ryan said, don't start treating yet.
Sorry about this. :(

Gasping at the surface is a sign that they aren't getting enough oxygen through their normal means of breathing using their gills. This can be if the water itself is low in oxygen or if a toxin like Nitrite prevents the oxygen exchange in their blood. Parasites settling in their gills or bacterial infection of the gills can all be possible causes too.

Is your tank cycled? Please check your nitrite levels and do a water change if necessary. Adding aquarium salt can help with Nitrite poisoning.

Did you add anything new recently? New fish, new plants, new decor?
What is your water maintenance routine?

While several issues could be the problem, including those already mentioned, gasping for air usually indicates a water issue.  This can be lack of oxygen, excess of CO2, ammonia, nitrite, high nitrate, or something toxic in the water.  As Ryan mentioned, knowing the water test results (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temp) would help pin this down.  Also, how long has this tank been running, how many fish, and were any added recently?

Byron.

Edit.  Meeresstille posted simultaneously, and obviously we are thinking along similar lines here.

And, I strongly second not adding "treatments" until the actual issue is fairly certain.  Fish are stressed by any such medication/chemical, and if it is not going to help it will only make it worse.

Do a large water change and do it now, at least 50%. Treat the new water with dechlorinator. Check your water stats. As others have said, stop adding things as you don't know what you are dealing with yet.

2 more are dead :( what can I do ????? Please help :(
Two more are dead :( this is horrible to watch :( how do they get nitrite poisoning and what can I do about it ???

Nitrite poisoning normally occurs when one does a fish in cycle.
In order to help we need to know the following ASAP:

1. How did you cycle your tank?
2. Do you have test kits? If so, what if the Nitrite reading and the Ammonia as well while you are at it.
3. The chloride in salt can block nitrite, but you need to know what level of nitrite is in the water before calculating how much salt to add. Plain old table salt is just fine for this purpose, you do not need aquarium salt.
4, As much info about your tank as possible to include: water parameters, tank size, dechor brand, any other additives you use, filtration.

I did the fish less cycle, no test strips, tank is a marina tank with a interpret filter and many different decorations all Boughy from Charlie's (coed y Dina's)

How exactly did you cycle your tank? How did you determine that it was cycled?
Many shops eager to sell thier fish will tell unweary buyers that a tank can be cycled in a week without adding a source of ammonia, this is not the case. In order for a tank and ultimately the filter to develop the necessary bacteria that will break down the dangerous ammonia in to nitrite (which is also harmful) and then into less harmful nitrate there first needs to be a soource of ammonia for the bacteria to feed off. The ammonia source can come from rotting vegetation, fish food, fish waste so really any sort of organic matter that will decompose.
While the ammonia/ nitrogen cycle is settling in a new tank, constant water testing is necessary to ensure that the cycle is actually happening and that it hasnt stalled or stopped for any reason.

Ideally we would really like for you to state/ list how your tank has progessed since day one.

EG.Day 1 Purchased tank, filter, gravel, light, heater and ornaments
Day 2 Filled tank, added gravel and ornaments and turned on filter, heater and light
Day 3 Rearranged tank till happy with its look
Day 4 Purchased Fish added them to the tank
Day 5 Enjoyed fish, have not tested water and have done no water changes

Just an example of what we need, always remember the more information that you can provide for us the better we can help you.

Do you have any live plants in the tank?

nofishinginmytank said:
I did the fish less cycle, no test strips, tank is a marina tank with a interpret filter and many different decorations all Boughy from Charlie's (coed y Dina's)

You were asking recently about improving your tank on another thread. Are the above decorations new to the tank?  if so did you wash them thoroughly before adding them to the tank. Also if they are new to the tank remove them immediately and do a large water change.

nofishinginmytank said:

You are going to need to provide WATER parameters regarding this fish tank.

What are the ammonia values?
What are the nitrite values?
What is the pH?
What is the temp?

What is your maintenance routine?
What have you done recently with the tank (starting about 2 weeks or so ago)?

If you don't answer these questions, no one will be able to help you.  But, I agree with ShinySideUp... while you are waiting for a response, I'd suggest a 50% water change with temp matched and dechlorinated water.  IF you are dealing with either ammonia or nitrite poisoning, this will help them.  If its not, it won't hurt them.

I haven't added anything new and I I did the fish less cycle on here. I followed all the instructions step by step before adding any fish at all :(

You may have lost the cycle, this can happen when we forget to add dechlorinator to the water before turning the filter back on. Or there wasn't enough bacteria to keep up with the amount of ammonia being produced.

Please test your water and post the results !!!

eaglesaquarium said:

You are going to need to provide WATER parameters regarding this fish tank.

What are the ammonia values?
What are the nitrite values?
What is the pH?
What is the temp?

What is your maintenance routine?
What have you done recently with the tank (starting about 2 weeks or so ago)?

If you don't answer these questions, no one will be able to help you.  But, I agree with ShinySideUp... while you are waiting for a response, I'd suggest a 50% water change with temp matched and dechlorinated water.  IF you are dealing with either ammonia or nitrite poisoning, this will help them.  If its not, it won't hurt them.

I second this, if your fish are still gasping at the surface to another water change. You say in the first post you cleaned half the tank, was this a water change? if so then do another one, and smaller daily water changes while you are waiting for a test kit.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back