I caught wild sailfin mollies

20200407_193655.jpg

The male has colored up alot since I caught him.

The Handbook of Tropical Aquarium Fishes by Axelrod and Shultz says their native range is from South Carolina to Mexico in lowland streams. Another sailfin molly which is very similar is native to Yucatan.

As usual,the more tropical the climate the more spectacular the fish. Those are nice,but smaller and not as colorful as wild ones in always tropical Mexico. Same for plants..the northern relative always more subdued in color and form than the tropical version.
For some reason,colder climate means less everything it seems.

I dunno these guys just have such a gorgeous shape and the subtle colouring is fantastic. They don't need to be flashy to be beautiful.

I dunno these guys just have such a gorgeous shape and the subtle colouring is fantastic. They don't need to be flashy to be beautiful.
totally agree

It is hard on a picture to see how amazing they look but in person the male and the females have amazing stripes and all kinds of colors. All the females are pregnant so hopefully I get babies that are males that are very beautiful and then I can put them in my outdoor ponds.

It is hard on a picture to see how amazing they look but in person the male and the females have amazing stripes and all kinds of colors. All the females are pregnant so hopefully I get babies that are males that are very beautiful and then I can put them in my outdoor ponds.
Let us know if you get fry! That would be so cool

They could be just younger. But I meant for all fish..plants. Not sure why,never read the reason why color is important in the equator and seems to mean almost nothing in the far north.

They could be just younger. But I meant for all fish..plants. Not sure why,never read the reason why color is important in the equator and seems to mean almost nothing in the far north.
We have some pretty colorful birds up here in Washington, gold finches, blue Jay's and some others as well

Resized_20200406_150830.jpeg

I got a realley good picture of the male today, they are doing great and are even starting to eat flakes off the bottom/filter. I even put a pregnant female in my outdoor pond so hopefully I get a pond full of mollies.

Ok. They are beautiful. If she does have babies. Would you consider shipping a couple ? I’m setting up two more tanks shortly.

I want some tooooooo!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back