I caught wild sailfin mollies

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Derekshatch

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I had no idea that I had sailfin mollies living in a river next to my house they are so beautifull and I especially love the male.
20200406_151018.jpg
20200406_151023.jpg

Maybe escapee's from a fish farm? Goliad farms in south Texas lost a lot of fish during one hurricane years ago. It's likely others did as well. Once released, fish that survive the bad weather go wild and propagate.

They don't look like typical sailfin mollies, maybe one of the other species from down that way or a hybrid. Keep them separate from other mollies and see how they go.

Make sure you check up on your local laws, if they are native you may have a problem keeping them, of they are invasive you should be fine but still better be sure :) they are cool

If they are endemic (native to the area) you can't release them back into the wild because they could transfer disease organisms from the tank to the wild. So just keep them and if you contact the local fisheries office, say you saw some fish in the local creek and wanted to collect them and are wondering if you are allowed to do so. Don't tell them you already have some.

I could be wrong, but I think it's legal to catch tropical fish in Florida as long as you have a fishing license. Transporting out of state may be a problem.

Edit: I was thinking southern states and mentioned Fla because some club members go 'fishing' (collecting) down there.

Last edited:
The OP is from Texas, where everyone must carry a gun or go to jail. :)
And Walker and football rule.

Im pretty sure that they were released into the river by the state to try and control mosquito population and they are not invasive and do not cause any harm to the river. And yes you can keep them as pets in texas.

Screenshot_20200407-092938_Chrome.jpg

I am surprised that they live in the guadalupe river considering it gets into the 40s or 30s at night sometimes.

Im super jealous, theyre gorgeous!!!

They stay very close together in the tank which is unlike mollies but they are scared because they lived in the wild were there were predators. The blue tail on the back fin and the yellow on the top fin is so georgous on the male and 2 of the females are pregnant. I hope that they give birth and surprsingly they are already eating.

They stay very close together in the tank which is unlike mollies but they are scared because they lived in the wild were there were predators. The blue tail on the back fin and the yellow on the top fin is so georgous on the male and 2 of the females are pregnant. I hope that they give birth and surprsingly they are already eating.
Are you feeding live food?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back