I can’t keep them alive! At all!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Okay, I’m reading this… and wow, I feel overwhelmed… but I can do it. But it says the old way to do it was to put in “hearty” fish…? What is a “hearty” fish. My kids don’t care what kind of fish it is, just so long as it swims.
My betta gets a few tiny round beads called “Betta micro floating betta pellet food.” twice a day. Usually he comes up & eats, but they will sink & he eats later.

The guppies get Aqueon Tropcal Flakes.

I loss a few minnows in my first 5 gal tank. They were with the 2 guppies. Most likely, the tank was not cycled. I followed instructions on the nitrifying bacteria container, but failed to test the water even though I had purchased the API kit.

The betta was put in a used tank that had a cycled filter & substate. He’s doing great, a pretty little boy.

We can see your test strip but that make doesn't test ammonia. Ammonia is poisonous and is excreted by the fish themselves so you will need an ammonia test before getting fish.

Not a cause of death, but it would also help to find out your water hardness, GH (possibly published on your water provider's website report), as guppies and betta have differing hardness ranges so it will help you choose future fish.
This guppy seems to be floating vertically in the tank. I think he’s the next to die… I just can’t figure out what’s killing them. I’m giving up, fish are just too complicated for me.

Attachments

• E06AA9A8-6C63-4518-98AD-41F30AB48B5B.jpeg
    E06AA9A8-6C63-4518-98AD-41F30AB48B5B.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 7C8C9024-7379-499D-ACCB-2302F1063693.jpeg
    7C8C9024-7379-499D-ACCB-2302F1063693.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 65DDA996-563C-4CA0-BC2A-4778B55F0F66.jpeg
    65DDA996-563C-4CA0-BC2A-4778B55F0F66.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 8B509C98-559E-459E-BD3E-B6EDBB4EC0C3.jpeg
    8B509C98-559E-459E-BD3E-B6EDBB4EC0C3.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 39
  • A843214E-1890-406E-B9CF-0147DADC3BB8.jpeg
    A843214E-1890-406E-B9CF-0147DADC3BB8.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 42
We had to have a water softener installed, but for one fish, we bought pre-conditioned water…
The water from a water softener is not usually suitable for freshwater fish as it often replaces hardness minerals with sodium chloride. Although salt can be used as a short term therapy, Freshwater fish should not live in sodium as it can damage the kidneys.
Can you bypass the softener? What is the GH of the water that hasn't been through the softener?

This guppy seems to be floating vertically in the tank. I think he’s the next to die… I just can’t figure out what’s killing them. I’m giving up, fish are just too complicated for me.
Do a 75% water change making sure the new water is dechlorinated and at the same temperature as the tank water.
What fish and how many do you have left?

Buy an ammonia test kit and let us know the result.

Guppies are hard water fish so they should be fine in water from a bypass tap. Water from the softener may be too soft for them, though that's along term thing rather than an immediate problem.
But don't do a 75% water change with water from a bypass tap as the change in water chemistry would be harmful. Use softened water for this, then small water changes every day to gradually change over.

I can’t find the blue guppie! Like no where…. I need to ask the kids if the babysitter maybe removed him, but I can’t find him at all this morning. One guppy left. And he’s pooping! Which I think is a great sign? Cause he’s not dying if he’s pooping? I haven’t fed them in 36 hours for fear of over feeding and the ammonia issue. I’m buying more tests today, praying I can save this one guy. There’s a lot of space at the top of the tank, think I’ll just add some preconditioned water we bought for the bet tastes. Trying to keep him alive…. Till he gets sad from being a single guppy. Maybe if I can keep him alive my husband will let me get one more so he can have a friend.

Sorry, didn’t see that didn’t post. Blue one was found deceased. So I’m down to one. He seemed great this morning. I did the nitrate test and they’re good. Bad news, he isn’t eating. I didn’t feed him yesterday intentionally as to avoid over feeding concerns… today I tried twice and he’s not going toward the food at all.
Could he be depressed cause he’s alone?

Sorry, didn’t see that didn’t post. Blue one was found deceased. So I’m down to one. He seemed great this morning. I did the nitrate test and they’re good. Bad news, he isn’t eating. I didn’t feed him yesterday intentionally as to avoid over feeding concerns… today I tried twice and he’s not going toward the food at all.
Could he be depressed cause he’s alone?
I meant ammonia not nitrate

Although guppies like a group they are not a strict shoaling fish. Being alone is not making him 'depressed'.
Did you do the 75% water change before or after the ammonia test. If not ammonia, the issue could be nitrite. Do you have a test kit yet?

Your issue sounds weird to me.
Siamese fighting fish are one of the hardest out there some people say if you throw these in a muddy paddle these can survive. Your test image looked fine to me you don't have any nitrite and for me usually means low ammonia also, since nitrite is the cycle step before ammonia.
I saw some colourfull lights there.
Are you using any under water lights? If yes this might explain the confused upside down guppy.
I wouldn't let colour lights to run permanently. I believe fish are better with normal white lights.
You have a filter running I guess.
Apart from that you can try smelling the water if it I too chlorinated you should be able to smell this. Same for ammonia you should be able to smell this if it is too high though I dought it based on your test and the amount of your fish.
Also if you bought all your fish from same store I am suggesting to try another store.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back