I can’t keep them alive! At all!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Actually there are many possibilities the sudden death could mean temperature,toxins and many others, a test kit would really help clarify this

Ammonia wouldn’t kill the fish in one night, even in a 1 gallon. Though I agree cycling is an important step. Did you dechlorinate the water? Did you perhaps use something you didn’t realize was toxic as a decoration?
I did dechlorinate, I only used two decorations and some rocks that were from the pet store and rinsed thoroughly?

I had a beta in college, it lived 2 years. I had one at my first job, I passed it along to the next person when I left, and I had one at my most recent job and I found a home for it when I moved. Betas we’re easy I said.

flash forward… my son wants a fish. I get him a beta. It survives night one, but dies night two (first night in his 1g tank). I replace him like a good mom the next day. This one doesn’t even last one night. My husband said I’m doing it wrong, buys a heater and pre-conditioned water and… his lasts two day. WTH kills betas that fast!!
So we go and get guppies. I buy 3 and a 5 gallon tank. They keep spitting up their pellet food so I started crushing it for them…. Night one, they’re good. Night two… they’re dying? One is swimming upside down, seems confused… the other two are just bobbing on the top near the heater… not really okay.
What can kill fish this damn fast! Help! My son LOVES his fish but I can’t keep killing them!

Attachments

• 0AB26A3E-F614-4564-9C21-C47DF08445C6.jpeg
    0AB26A3E-F614-4564-9C21-C47DF08445C6.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 48
  • 53EC56CC-08AE-4158-B15F-ED5A7BD29E01.jpeg
    53EC56CC-08AE-4158-B15F-ED5A7BD29E01.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 47
  • CC2C8A8E-3681-4C43-8A11-70AA97481DA5.jpeg
    CC2C8A8E-3681-4C43-8A11-70AA97481DA5.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 6EEE689E-F73F-4FDC-9A4F-A207080BA098.jpeg
    6EEE689E-F73F-4FDC-9A4F-A207080BA098.jpeg
    309.1 KB · Views: 51
So this plastic plants might cut a bettas fins so I would replace those with live plants they also help with ammonia and nitrate and do you have a ammonia test kit? The rest of your reading look ok. @Sugarplumz001

Last edited:
What are the symptoms before they died?
It's best if you can show us some photos of the fish.

Whenever you buy a fish, look for healthy fish that are free from symptoms of disease.
Always, observe the fish and other fish in the same tank before buying them.
Avoid fish that are breathing fast, scratching against the tank/object, having white spots on the bodies, having clamp fins, looking lethargic/inactive, etc.
There are many types of fish diseases which you can find from the internets.
Only buy fish that are active and moving around.

Some Bettas have been kept in poor conditions in the fish stores and probably are dying before you bring them home.
They won't last long unless you know how to treat and care for them.

As for Guppies, common diseases are internal worms and probably Columnaris.
Make sure that the Guppies don't have sunken bellies, fast breathing, etc.
Don't buy those at lowest grade(cheapest one) as they from poor genetic quality and may also carry diseases.

Lastly, since your tank is small and new, make sure that you don't overfeed them when you bring them home.
Overfeeding will create high ammonia which can kill the fish.
You need to wait for at least 1-1.5 month for you filter to have enough beneficial bacteria.
During the first month, feed lightly and change the water more frequently.
And for the first 1-2 weeks, probably feed only once every 2-3 days.

Last edited:
Ammonia wouldn’t kill the fish in one night, even in a 1 gallon. Though I agree cycling is an important step. Did you dechlorinate the water? Did you perhaps use something you didn’t realize was toxic as a decoration?
Don't forget that the ammonia doesn't suddenly materialise at a killing dose...it accumulates, sometimes quite rapidly.
Fish forums are full of tales of rapidly dying fish and a lack of understanding about the nitrogen cycle is, more often than not, the root cause.

Who does the feeding?
Over-feeding is a common killer of fish.

Next, assuming your water is good enough and free from toxins, is contamination.
Dirty hands, or hands with soap, cleansing gel, paints, etc., can poison quite effectively.

Whatever is the cause, it would be best to ascertain what is killing the fish, before you go and buy replacements and repeat the trauma.

I note you bought two tanks. Small tanks are much harder to keep than implied by the shops. The bigger the tank, the more resilient it will be to changes in the water.

What are the symptoms before they died?
It's best if you can show us some photos of the fish.

Whenever you buy a fish, look for healthy fish that are free from symptoms of disease.
Always, observe the fish and other fish in the same tank before buying them.
Avoid fish that are breathing fast, scratching against the tank/object, having white spots on the bodies, having clamp fins, looking lethargic/inactive, etc.
There are many types of fish diseases which you can find from the internets.
Only buy fish that are active and moving around.

Some Bettas have been kept in poor conditions in the fish stores and probably are dying before you bring them home.
They won't last long unless you know how to treat and care for them.

As for Guppies, common diseases are internal worms and probably Columnaris.
Make sure that the Guppies don't have sunken bellies, fast breathing, etc.
Don't buy those at lowest grade(cheapest one) as they from poor genetic quality and may also carry diseases.

Lastly, since your tank is small and new, make sure that you don't overfeed them when you bring them home.
Overfeeding will create high ammonia which can kill the fish.
You need to wait for at least 1-1.5 month for you filter to have enough beneficial bacteria.
During the first month, feed lightly and change the water more frequently.
And for the first 1-2 weeks, probably feed only once every 2-3 days.
They tend to get slow, and he one started to swim sideways and seem disoriented.
I have two still alive. I’m here asking for help because I need to know what’s killing them, I just can’t buy another until I know what it is.

Did this send through?
We can see your test strip but that make doesn't test ammonia. Ammonia is poisonous and is excreted by the fish themselves so you will need an ammonia test before getting fish.

Not a cause of death, but it would also help to find out your water hardness, GH (possibly published on your water provider's website report), as guppies and betta have differing hardness ranges so it will help you choose future fish.

We can see your test strip but that make doesn't test ammonia. Ammonia is poisonous and is excreted by the fish themselves so you will need an ammonia test before getting fish.

Not a cause of death, but it would also help to find out your water hardness, GH (possibly published on your water provider's website report), as guppies and betta have differing hardness ranges so it will help you choose future fish.
We had to have a water softener installed, but for one fish, we bought pre-conditioned water…

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back