I can't choose!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Meg0000

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hello, I finally found someone who would sell me shrimps! She sent me pictures but I can't choose! I am on a budget (aproxipativly 40$) so I am not sure what would be the best, a small amount of rarer shrimp/more expensive or a a lot of red cherry shrimp/less expensive. There is also amano shrimp wich is already sure I get. Is there things I should know about them and also what would you do?
Here are the price and pictures:

Attachments

• 20200531_082600.png
    20200531_082600.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 85
  • received_872702353242080.jpeg
    received_872702353242080.jpeg
    605.5 KB · Views: 118
  • received_197969521312844.jpeg
    received_197969521312844.jpeg
    847.7 KB · Views: 91
  • received_730984990977645.jpeg
    received_730984990977645.jpeg
    556.9 KB · Views: 119
  • received_272692600770146.jpeg
    received_272692600770146.jpeg
    619.2 KB · Views: 112
  • received_246137696664538.jpeg
    received_246137696664538.jpeg
    1,001.5 KB · Views: 116
  • received_774759033058982.jpeg
    received_774759033058982.jpeg
    884.4 KB · Views: 117
  • received_2612963872307791.jpeg
    received_2612963872307791.jpeg
    860.7 KB · Views: 123
Beautiful shrimp! Just me personal though... You can always find Amano shrimp, so don't get those. You can also always find cherry shrimp, so don't get those. I suggest you get some yellow and blue shrimp. They both look very pretty. :)

Beautiful shrimp! Just me personal though... You can always find Amano shrimp, so don't get those. You can also always find cherry shrimp, so don't get those. I suggest you get some yellow and blue shrimp. They both look very pretty. :)
She will sell me adult shrimps so that my pearl gourami can't eat them and my LFS almost never have shrimps... Won't they breed and have brown babies if I get 2 colors? That's what I heard but I am not sure

She will sell me adult shrimps so that my pearl gourami can't eat them and my LFS almost never have shrimps... Won't they breed and have brown babies if I get 2 colors? That's what I heard but I am not sure
Didn't think of that...

If you are worried about that, I would get the blue shrimp. :nod:

Their shrimp look very good.
Id go blue personally :p but those rilis are nice too (the white and red ones)

Just a cautionary note (sorry). Shrimp are pearl gourami food. There is a chance they will leave the adult shrimp alone but some pearls will take the presence of any shrimp as a personal challenge and go on a mission to search and destroy. I have read numerous accounts of a single fish wiping out an entire colony overnight.

IMO this would be high risk and you can find much cheaper food for your gourami.

Just a cautionary note (sorry). Shrimp are pearl gourami food. There is a chance they will leave the adult shrimp alone but some pearls will take the presence of any shrimp as a personal challenge and go on a mission to search and destroy. I have read numerous accounts of a single fish wiping out an entire colony overnight.

IMO this would be high risk and you can find much cheaper food for your gourami.
Is it the size of the shrimp that matter or the fact that it's a shrimp for the pearl gourami? My hengeli rasboras are about the size of a shrimp and there is no problem

I agree on what he said here, amano shrimp is fish 1# food for some reason, that’s why we dont recommend fish in shrimp tank.

I think essjay keeps shrimps with pearl gourami so it should probably be ok especially with adult shrimp

Confession: I got mixed up between pearl and sparkling gourami which are a definite no no.
Its still risky - but not the guarantee I thought ...

It is hard to tell if the gouramis have had any impact on the shrimp population because I have water sprite in there and the roots look like seangee's frogbit in his signature photo. It's impossible to see shrimps in those roots.
But the shrimps do come out in the open and walk over the substrate and lower plant leaves - and the all the fish seem to ignore them when they do this.

I
It is hard to tell if the gouramis have had any impact on the shrimp population because I have water sprite in there and the roots look like seangee's frogbit in his signature photo. It's impossible to see shrimps in those roots.
But the shrimps do come out in the open and walk over the substrate and lower plant leaves - and the all the fish seem to ignore them when they do this.
Ok good I have frogbit and water sprite too! I will also soon have moss in that tank so there will be even more cover plus the plants.

So I decided I was lowering what I want to spend in those shrimps just in case my gourami end up eating them.
I will get 7 red cherry shrimp and 3 amano shrimp. My parents said we could go get them this weekend! I will probably post pictures

7 RCS is plenty. My group of around 250 started at 7 :).
And I do have fish that eat shrimplets - but they are a little frightened of the adult shrimps ;)

7 RCS is plenty. My group of around 250 started at 7 :).
And I do have fish that eat shrimplets - but they are a little frightened of the adult shrimps ;)
Whaat when did you start keeping them?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back