I bought some turbo snails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

whacky

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Exciting stuff this marine lark :lol: :lol: :lol:

The little tanks is on hold cos im gonna move it over to the 6ft tank when its ready only its gonna take a while to get the 6ft ready so snails are as exciting as the addition of livestock will get, :p :p

So lets talk about the 6ft tank then now i definately aint selling it, well more that no one is buying it :lol:

Gonna get it drilled two 50mm outlets two 25mm inlets maybe an extra hole near the bottom for a circulation pump.

Main tanks gonna have a 4" DSB, lots of life rock in a twin peak one at either end design. Lighting im holding off for the verdict on the new T5 lighting before decidng for sure. Three powerheads plusthe extra pumps for circulation

The sump 3ft maybe 4ft with a deltec skimmer an extra DSB (which may become a refugium) heaters two return pumps and i think thats about it

Have i missed anything

sweet B) I did a bit of research on marine tank but found turbos a bit pricey? £4 each or so ? :unsure: or maybe thats another of the snails for marine tanks :unsure:

Whacky, are you going to put overflow boxes in the corner, or just put up standpipes? All that water will make some noide. You may want to look at this...Durso

Look at his standpipe set-up for his returns... :thumbs:

William, the snails were £13 for 6, my lfs does them cheaper that way the £3 each other wise,

GL, the tanks gonna be drilled at the back rather that the bottom that way it the bulkhead spings a leak i wont have soggy carpet syndrome to as big a degree, they will also have a wier to each outet aswell. so i hope that there wont be to much noise

what is a turbo? ( dont say the thing on the car that sucks cold air) :lol: :lol: :lol:

heres a couple of turbo's :D
http://tyvex.iwarp.com/Mvc-037f.jpg
they are part of a clean-up crew, or also called janitors, turbo snails eat algae which grows on the rock and tank glass.
together with hermit crabs, brittle stars, and various other scavengers, they help keep the tank clean :D
not a great pic, but hey
ciggybounce.gif

ty

Are they easy to breed? Being snails I would guess yes but nothing in Marines is simple :lol:

well, W,
if i can get a pic of a snail on my front glass, i will be able to show you hundreds of tiny snails under the shell, kinda hitchin a lift on the mummy/daddy
(dont know if they are hemaphrodites or not :/ ).
i have seen the small ones on the glass too, but they are sooooo small even my camera (which i chose for its close up macro) wouldn't pic it up too good.
i'll try and post it for ya ;)
ty

William. the saltwater snails are not as prolific as the freswater ones. You can get a good hatch as Ty has said, but in a reef system, there are many many predators thet raise the mortality rate. But this is the natural check and balance system at work.

And whacky, it sounds like you have everything you need to start. When you start corals, you will need additional in tank circulation though. But looks ggod for now.

Don't forget one fresh bag of live sand.. ;)

There will be a lot more circulation in the end i will be using pumps rather than power heads though i think and looads of spray bars

hey whacky :D
this is what i use, gives super circulation @ not too bad a price
flow rates are adjustable from about speed 1 - 1500 ltr/hr, to sped 3 - 4600 ltr/hr.
i use two of these with another two p/heads on surge control.
heres the link
http://www.koikeeping.com/aquaturnsalespage.htm
hope its of use to you
ty

ps, i should mention the down side, they run pretty warm, so need to keep an eye on tank temp :rolleyes:

still no luck with ur links get an error message about linking lol have to look elsewhere for a pic of a turbo lol :/

Here is a link to one of the best sites I have found to date. Has great pics, and a short description on the compatibility of the spcies in certain types of tanks. Link is not working. It is www.salwaterfish.com

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back