I am going to try to culture

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Gabe

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Daphnia. I just started a job at a laboratory and they are going to let me culture the daphnia there. They had a water sample that had some in it, and one of the women showed it to me. They are kinda cute lol. I'm pretty happy. I'm sure my fish will love me for it too.

I thought this was neat and wanted to share :nod:

Gabe

another thing that fish love, atleast my africans and fry do. take a jar with a lid. put some lettuce in the jar and fill with tank water. cover the jar and set in a sunny window for a day or two. after that time dump the whole thing into the tank. you can take out the lettuce if you want but i find that it also gets eaten.

can also culture your own bloodworms. take a pan and fill with water and leaves. set in a dark cool place for a few days. remove the leaves after and you should have bloodworms under the leaves.

semper fi

Thanks for the ideas semper fi. Do you know what the lettuce in water does? What is it that the fish are eating?

Gabe

Sounds fun to culture daphnia, Gabe!

My friend's talking of breeding brine shrimps with me the other day. He likes daphnia more but he thinks brine shrimps would be easier to breed(?) I have no idea.

So if culturing daphnia or bloodworms. there's no need to have "seeds" or eggs?

apparently they like straw the kind you might get from a barn just one of those in with them and there you go tho the letuce is also a good idea

Hi Feline

Hatching brine shrimp is easy. Breeding brine shrip is whole different kettle of fish.
You will need a large tank to breed brine shrimp.
I suspect that you mean hatching brine shrimp. To do this all you need is some eggs. (you can buy these from me, as I sell them, you can see my advert in the for sale section) a hatching jar, salt water at sg of 1.02 and an air supply.

To breed daphina you will need some daphina to start with. A tank or container, and a source of green water, (See last post about straw).

Dolphin
iru.gif

I suspect it will be easy for me to culture the daphnia, but only b/c I work in a lab where they have had daphnia in the past. I will be able to get daphnia to start from somewhere in the area. So I have an advantage.

Gabe

Excuse for my ignorance :*) coz I have no idea on these little creatures! My friend's wanting to breed brine shrimps! coz he thinks hatching them is easy enough... He told me something like keeping the brine shrimps in different temperatures to make them into male and female etc... and let them mate ... He likes to breed daphnia more, but said even more complicated than breeding brine shrimps.

My another friend has kept those before (I think) coz the other name for them is sea monkey(?) ... Someone gave to her as a present! She didn't pay much attention to them but they'r still alive!

But from what semper fi said, it looks quite easy to keep daphnia! Is it easier to breed them than brine shrimps?

I was told (from some one at the lab) that they are like water fleas. And they kind of even look like fleas, just slightly different. I think they are kind of cute actually lol.

About sea monkeys, I read on a web site that sold sea monkeys, that they are a little different than normal brine shrimp.I'm not sure what the difference is though.

Gabe

My friend has once described on how daphnia swims and it's pretty funny to watch him imitating them swimming! Coz yes they r like fleas, n wont swim as smoothly as fishies. They fling their "fins" once hence dash forward, then they'll stay there for a second before going on the 2nd dash! (hope you can understand my description...)

sea monkeys have been specially bred in the lab to be slightly bigger and some other junk acording to the pack the hatch faster as well apparently but they are still brine shrimp some one just messed with the food they give em i expect. as for breeding water fleas i dont know if mine actually bred but im shure there where more after a time and cyclops also i had loads of them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back