I am getting baby chickens!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
How about getting a couple of 6 month old hens as well as 6-10 chicks?
Then you will get eggs within the next few weeks and in 6 months the new ones will start laying too.

Chickens stop laying or reduce the number of eggs they lay when they reach 2 years old, so it's a good idea to get a few new chicks every 6-12 months so you have a steady supply.

Make sure the chicks have been sexed so you don't end up with a bunch of males that will crow all day and all night and all day and all night and ahhhhhhhhh, shut that &^%$#@ chook up..

---------------
Make sure the coop has decent wire to stop cats, dogs, foxes, coyotes and other animals getting to the birds. Either use a heavy gauge weldmesh, which is wire that has been welded together, or use chain link fencing.

Standard chicken wire is rubbish and dogs can go through that in minutes.

---------------
Check to see if the chicks have been vaccinated against New Castles disease and other birds diseases.

Very cool!

Definitely make sure to post pictures when you get them!

Man, I like chickens....to eat! I would keep them, but are very annoying. My neighbors have a lot of them and I can hear them all the way from my house. (A solid 2 miles. :rolleyes:)

Every time I hear one, I dream a shooting it with my .308! :lol:

Very cool!

Definitely make sure to post pictures when you get them!

Man, I like chickens....to eat! I would keep them, but are very annoying. My neighbors have a lot of them and I can hear them all the way from my house. (A solid 2 miles. :rolleyes:)

bring much ammo! Chickens don’t go down easy! lol!

I am placing two dozen eggs in incubator as soon as incubator stabilizes. Getting rid of about 1/2 dozen laying hens to pay for feed for next couple of month. I use a few of the tight little coops but they typically serve more as roosts.

Very cool!

It's the males that make noise, the females are usually pretty quiet except when laying an egg. Then you can hear them going "ah, ahh *&^% that hurts. Get it out of me. God damn why are eggs so *&^%in big"

Poor chicken being shot with a 308. There would be nothing left but a pile of feathers :)

They were out of australorps at the feed store only 1 hour after the shipment got in! We ordered some sapphire gem chicks instead. They are one of the quietest kinds. They should be here by Thursday:) everything is ready for them. One will be named teriyaki, one will be named polly (my little brothers wanted a piratey name) and I have yet to decide the last 3

They were out of australorps at the feed store only 1 hour after the shipment got in! We ordered some sapphire gem chicks instead. They are one of the quietest kinds. They should be here by Thursday:) everything is ready for them. One will be named teriyaki, one will be named polly (my little brothers wanted a piratey name) and I have yet to decide the last 3
blue plymouth rocks are nice birds, they are no quieter than others though. I love their color!

Here are some pics of my most recent batch. I got 26 this time around!
77DA2F24-3E22-4A28-B8D3-E4ACA3C2CA51.jpeg
8002EC84-9D76-49C4-A04F-A7521915281F.jpeg
81874068-EED9-45D6-9C0E-74DABCDD6594.jpeg
6A05DF7C-F446-443C-9DF9-BA2F6D7C07F8.jpeg
2A3EC909-D878-43D3-B778-272C88B487CC.jpeg
7EE81BCC-7663-4C85-8A52-B6E2E8B57C5B.jpeg

the 2 blue ones up top are blue Plymouth rocks.
C0746081-129F-4CA2-AF73-14C4B04E8DA1.jpeg
BC1F2139-8783-4A57-812B-9BFBBE18FFFD.jpeg
EB0B835D-E390-4531-A4A9-C684EF9C8012.jpeg

blue plymouth rocks are nice birds, they are no quieter than others though. I love their color!
That Is interesting, our friend has a few large flocks and she said these ones were a little quieter

That Is interesting, our friend has a few large flocks and she said these ones were a little quieter
When they are laying eggs, no chicken is quiet. Imagine a mother in labor screaming but there are short breaks so it sounds like, ah ah ah ah ah ah. Very annoying.

When they are laying eggs, no chicken is quiet. Imagine a mother in labor screaming but there are short breaks so it sounds like, ah ah ah ah ah ah. Very annoying.
I was meaning their normal clucking. They definitely still make a lot of noise when laying

Not all make a lot of noise while laying. Mine as general rule are very quite as they try to hide location of nest site. Exception is when they are trying attract attention of rooster.

Clucking is a broody related sound. Many sounds reported as clucking have other meanings and done under different contexts.

This incubator loaded with eggs yesterday.
IMG_2020-03-21_18-28-29.jpeg

IMG_2020-03-21_18-30-34.jpeg

About 40 eggs will be hatched in pens like this under hens.
5 Each pullet has a pen.jpg

These two and their sister all came into lay on the same day. The two shown have been broody for about a week.
11 Butterscotch Broody (Incubating Eggs).jpeg
12 Bridget Broody (Incubating Eggs).jpeg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back