I am getting baby chickens!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JuiceBox52

Passionate about fish and their care
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Tomorrow I am getting 5 australorp chicks! I am actually super excited. We are getting them for eggs during the lockdown. I will post pics when we pick them up :)

you understand they will not lay eggs until like August or September at the soonest?

you understand they will not lay eggs until like August or September at the soonest?
It is not expected to be over by summer so this will be for later on. The govenor of Washington said we can expect schools not to open next year

That is cool. we use to get fresh eggs form my wife's uncle's family farm. I miss that, they always seemed to taste better than store bought eggs.

Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure you are providing them with the best possible life, many people are VERY misinformed when buying chickens about their care.
No problem! Our neighbors had chickens and I took care of them for a few weeks. I also have some family friends who have them! This is the coop we bought, we will be attaching a large run so they have space. They will be in a brooder indoors until they are old enough

Edited for spelling mistake*

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200320-205120_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200320-205120_Chrome.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 180
No problem! Our neighbors had chickens and I took care of them for a few weeks. I also have some family friends who have them! This is the coop we bought, we will be attaching a large run so they have space. They will be in a brooder indoors until they are old enough

Edited for spelling mistake*
Luckily this coop isn’t too bad. It says up to 15 but normally with pre made coops you have to devide that number by 3. I wouldt put more than 5-6 birds in there.
also, hang the food and water outside not in the coop.
assuming it gets cold where you live, in the winter staple up some heavy duty plastic sheeting so they basically have the whole covered area for a coop. If you decide to get more birds I would use the top indoor part for just nesting boxes and completely inclose the whole structure in some plywood or OSB. And have roost bars out there.

for $400 you can build something much better

Luckily this coop isn’t too bad. It says up to 15 but normally with pre made coops you have to devide that number by 3. I wouldt put more than 5-6 birds in there.
also, hang the food and water outside not in the coop.
assuming it gets cold where you live, in the winter staple up some heavy duty plastic sheeting so they basically have the whole covered area for a coop. If you decide to get more birds I would use the top indoor part for just nesting boxes and completely inclose the whole structure in some plywood or OSB. And have roost bars out there.

for $400 you can build something much better
Yes we were horrified with how small the coops recommended for 6 Hens were. We are considering building one later on but are all pretty unwell right now so cant.

Edited once again for spelling mistake. Gotta get better at that**

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back