I am a very very newbie to tropical fish keeping. I didn't realise I would need to be a bit of a scientist regarding water. I am trying hard to learn.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bevs

Reaction score
My first question. Should I turn the light off when cleaning/changing the water ?

Welcome! We were all there once. TFF is a wonderful learning resource and community

Often most fish keepers have to remove the light from the top of the tank when doing WC so you could turn it off. I position mine against the side of the tank as I have a shelf next to the fish tank at the proper height. That way I can still see inside the tank to syphon off the substrate accumulation of debris.

I keep my light on all the time when doing water changes because it helps me see things as I clean... I have it off though now because I'm fighting algae.

Welcome to the forum also!

I always kept the light on, and I placed it across the tank frame when the cover glass/canopy was removed. My reason was, less stress on the fish. Turning on/off the tank light requires a period of at least 30 minutes before the fish have adjusted their eyes. This is why fish will jump and hit the tank cover when the light is turned on or off in a non-well lit room. Their eyes function differently from ours as they have no pupils. I always waited at least an hour after the tank lighting automatically came on in the morning before starting work (or feeding, this is a crucial issue too) like a water change.

I would also be concerned of causing more stress by crashing about in a dimly-lit tank. This is more likely if the light was on and you turn it off.

And, I would see nothing without the light over the tank if I removed it...lol.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

Welcome, what others have already said and it is also best to keep the light on a timer each day

I agree with the timer. Fish need the light to be on for the same length of time, at the same time of day every day. Timers make this easy.

The room needs to be in daylight or the room light switched on for at least half an hour before the tank light turns on and half an hour after it turns off. Fish need a dawn and dusk period between tank light on and total darkness, and a room with daylight/room light provides this.

Fish also need a period of total darkness in every 24 hours.

I leave my tank lights on during water changes so I can see what I'm doing.

Hello and welcome :)
It isn't necessary to turn the light off, leaving it on will make the task easier.
I turn off all power to my tanks. The filters I have don’t like it when water level drops too much. Additionally, some fish are more comfortable with dim lighting and lower levels may reduce stress. I have plenty of ambient light to do my work.

I agree with the timer. Fish need the light to be on for the same length of time, at the same time of day every day. Timers make this easy.

The room needs to be in daylight or the room light switched on for at least half an hour before the tank light turns on and half an hour after it turns off. Fish need a dawn and dusk period between tank light on and total darkness, and a room with daylight/room light provides this.

Fish also need a period of total darkness in every 24 hours.

I leave my tank lights on during water changes so I can see what I'm doing.
I bought an electric timer for my lights in my first tank and it has been invaluable. There is no way that I would remember to turn the lights on and off at the same time every day. I might not even be home or awake then either. My new lights have a time and ramp up and ramp down built in.

All has already been said about your question...
So, hi and welcome to TFF... :hi:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back