I added anubias nana to my tetra tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Retired Viking

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
I decided to replace some of my Java Ferns with anubias nana. Some of my Java ferns leaves turned brown and started to spout seedlings so I thought I would replace them on my tree stumps with anubias nana plants. Do you think they look better? 1st picture was before I added the anubias and only had a little in the tank.

Attachments

• GEDC1494.JPG
    GEDC1494.JPG
    358.6 KB · Views: 201
  • GEDC1523.JPG
    GEDC1523.JPG
    396.7 KB · Views: 184
  • GEDC1524.JPG
    GEDC1524.JPG
    379.4 KB · Views: 204
  • GEDC1525.JPG
    GEDC1525.JPG
    427.1 KB · Views: 202
  • GEDC1527.JPG
    GEDC1527.JPG
    249.9 KB · Views: 198
  • GEDC1528.JPG
    GEDC1528.JPG
    356.2 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
I decided to replace some of my Java Ferns with anubias nana. Some of my Java ferns leaves turned brown and started to spout seedlings so I thought I would replace them on my tree stumps with anubias nana plants. Do you think they look better? 1st picture was before I added the anubias and only had a little in the tank.
They look way better. Nice tank!! :clap:

I like it! Java fern isn't a bad plant, but once you've got a few, they'll produce more java fern than you'll ever need or want. It's nice to have some contrast with some different plants, and those are very nice anubius!

Looks great! I have the same kind of anubis and in 3 months I've have lots of new leaves & good height growth. I really love the broad leaves on this & the dark shade of green too :wub:
Thank you, I plan on picking up some more maybe the anubias nana petite or anubias barteri. All the LFS and Petco are out but I may try and special order it.

I like it! Java fern isn't a bad plant, but once you've got a few, they'll produce more java fern than you'll ever need or want. It's nice to have some contrast with some different plants, and those are very nice anubius!
I have plenty of new seedlings forming on the leaves of the ferns, I am thinking of moving many to one of my other tanks when I am able to add more anubius. I cut one anubias in two and have one that I could cut in 3-4 parts. That one I treated for black beard algae so I want to wait until it's leaves are fully recovered before dividing it up.

Hi RV, hope you and the family are well:)

I missed this update on you adding the Anubias and i must say its looking really good. Think youve made a good choice and its certainly transformed your stumps. Hows the tank doing?

Im thinking of adding some anubias to my 55g. How did you go about attaching yours to your stumps if you dont mind me asking?

Russ

Hi RV, hope you and the family are well:)

I missed this update on you adding the Anubias and i must say its looking really good. Think youve made a good choice and its certainly transformed your stumps. Hows the tank doing?

Im thinking of adding some anubias to my 55g. How did you go about attaching yours to your stumps if you dont mind me asking?

Russ
Thank you, we are all hanging in there my wife is getting around much better now and healing from the knee operation. I will have to update the pictures. I picked up some anubias in small pots at Petco and added them to the tank. As far as attaching the anubias I just stuck them through openings in the stump mostly or in cracks. I thought about super glue but they seem to stay pretty well. Once in awhile I find one loose and floating. Some anubias now have roots attached to the stumps. I added a few more small pieces of driftwood too.

Last edited:
I was hoping you'd say that lol I didnt fancy using super glue because all my rocks are nicely in postion. I might try wedging them through the nooks and crannies when i get some :)

Glad your well and your wifes getting about easier :)

Please do upload some more pic's when you get chance. Be nice to see the tanks progress

Take care Rv

I removed most of the Java and Crested leaf ferns but left some of the seedlings in the tank. For now I am leaving the little potted anubias in the tank but may remove the pots as I find things to attach the anubias too. Petco has the little potted anubias plants for 4.99 USD each which is cheaper than buying the anubias in those plastic tubs they sell plants in. The Anubias is a really nice plant and hardy, I may plant some more sword plants too to help fill in the tank.

Attachments

• GEDC1544.JPG
    GEDC1544.JPG
    412 KB · Views: 52
  • GEDC1545.JPG
    GEDC1545.JPG
    424 KB · Views: 51
  • GEDC1546.JPG
    GEDC1546.JPG
    409.5 KB · Views: 49
  • GEDC1547.JPG
    GEDC1547.JPG