hygger heater

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've always used a single heater in my aquariums since doing was fashionable when I started keeping fish. During recent times, and depending on the dimensions of the take, some have decided to use 2 heaters. Fail-over is also a (good) reason for using two units. Being genetically predisposed to contrary behavior, I decided to go with a higher wattage unit about 5-years ago. In doing so I've decided to depend on the quality of the unit I have, a Finnex 800 watt. I've got 2 Cobalt heaters for emergencies.

Another aspect of dual heaters is that they heat a tank more evenly. This idea turns out to be untrue, as long as you have the right water movement. (I included the above so my situation will be known)

Now my question, do any of you folks have the unit below or another heater from this company?

hygger Fast Heating Titanium Aquarium Heater with LED Digital Temp Controller 500-800watt

What I'm looking for are opinions from people who have a hygger heater. It doesn't have to be the above unit. I simply want to know how good hygger is.

About 3 years ago I had a heater failure on Christmas eve and the only thing I could get in a hurry was an Hygger. Planned to replace it ASAP with a "reputable" brand but its still going strong.

Disclaimer - I have since moved to a dual heater and have an external controller. I have set the thermostat to higher than the controller so I can't verify the calibration or even the thermostat, but it comes on when asked to.

I have a hygger heater in a 20 gallon tank. I've only had it running for about 4 months but it has been very stable in terms of keeping the tank within 2/10th of a degree at all times. So far I have been pleased with it. Other brands I've tried swing the temp by a good bit according to my temperature probe.

That's just what I wanted to hear, mrs. Does your unit have an external thermostat? In all the time I've kept fish I've had one heater fail and it did so nicely. :wub: It didn't electrocute my fish or parboil them. It slowly lost its ability to heat my tank, that's all.

I have a hygger powerhead in my tank sometimes and it is a great piece of kit but it is tempermental on how it gets plugged in, on one side of the control it has a three pin bit and if you put it in too quickly it causes an error but if you get it just right it goes on ok. Just sort of made me question them a little but they do have some cool looking products coming out.

Wills

Reactions: 663
About 3 years ago I had a heater failure on Christmas eve and the only thing I could get in a hurry was an Hygger. Planned to replace it ASAP with a "reputable" brand but its still going strong.

Disclaimer - I have since moved to a dual heater and have an external controller. I have set the thermostat to higher than the controller so I can't verify the calibration or even the thermostat, but it comes on when asked to.

Did the failure kill any of your fish? I consider panic buying that turns out to be a positive experience as being notable.

No disclaimer needed. One of the things I love about this hobby is that there are a thousand ways of getting things done, plus what can be dreamed up.

I have a hygger powerhead in my tank sometimes and it is a great piece of kit but it is tempermental on how it gets plugged in, on one side of the control it has a three pin bit and if you put it in too quickly it causes an error but if you get it just right it goes on ok. Just sort of made me question them a little but they do have some cool looking products coming out.

Wills

Are you in Europe, Wills? I'm just wondering why you'd have plug issues. Thanks for the testimonial.

Did the failure kill any of your fish? I consider panic buying that turns out to be a positive experience as being notable.
No - it simply stopped working and we were home that Christmas with that tank in a living room. The temperature did drop by a few degrees by the time the replacement arrived from Amazon, but not enough to harm the fish.

That's just what I wanted to hear, mrs. Does your unit have an external thermostat? In all the time I've kept fish I've had one heater fail and it did so nicely. :wub: It didn't electrocute my fish or parboil them. It slowly lost its ability to heat my tank, that's all.
I have a little probe in the tank connected to a small digital read-out thingy on the outside of the tank. I got a 2 pack on Amazon for about $10 bucks I think? Easy to read and seems accurate.

Reactions: 663
No - it simply stopped working and we were home that Christmas with that tank in a living room. The temperature did drop by a few degrees by the time the replacement arrived from Amazon, but not enough to harm the fish.

If I don't watch it I'm going to start admiring Bezos, he build a great company. I was able to get my replacement from Amazon in less than 24 hrs.

I have a little probe in the tank connected to a small digital read-out thingy on the outside of the tank. I got a 2 pack on Amazon for about $10 bucks I think? Easy to read and seems accurate.

Don't you love modern tech? Back when all I could do is set temp in an analog way and hope. Of course, I could have bought a separate thermometer, but I was young and was to busy to think. ;)

If I don't watch it I'm going to start admiring Bezos, he build a great company. I was able to get my replacement from Amazon in less than 24 hrs.
Not even he was able to override Christmas, at least not in those days. Ordered on the evening of the 24th - arrived on the 27th. Tank dropped from 25 to 20C. Have to confess I cranked the household heating up a notch or two :whistle:

Not even he was able to override Christmas, at least not in those days. Ordered on the evening of the 24th - arrived on the 27th. Tank dropped from 25 to 20C. Have to confess I cranked the household heating up a notch or two :whistle:

We've seen what might be the future of retail. It's sad and cool at the same time. Your house must be insolated well. We'd likely have to crank up the stove too under those conditions.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back