Hydrogen peroxide to kill hair algae?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Hi.
I've never used it but there's a lot of stuff online that says it works - just make sure to use it right. :)

It might, but unless you fix the imbalance that caused it it is sure to come back. Fix the underlying cause and it will die off all by itself without any risk to your fish.

It might, but unless you fix the imbalance that caused it it is sure to come back. Fix the underlying cause and it will die off all by itself without any risk to your fish.
Ok. How do I know if it’s too many or not enough nutrients? Light is on 12 hours but is very weak. Never grown algae for like 5 months of the same dosing and light period

I would first reduce the light photoperiod, to say 8 hours. use a timer, this has benefits for problem algae and fish. Without knowing the light data and the plant additives (if any), and an idea of fish load, we cannot easily work out the balance. Sometimes it is just fiddling with this and that (allowing enough time for any change to be obvious).

I would never use any form of chemical algicide in a tank with fish, these things are not safe for fish, invertebrates, or plants (if it kills algae it obviously is not plant safe).

I would first reduce the light photoperiod, to say 8 hours. use a timer, this has benefits for problem algae and fish. Without knowing the light data and the plant additives (if any), and an idea of fish load, we cannot easily work out the balance. Sometimes it is just fiddling with this and that (allowing enough time for any change to be obvious).
I understand. I need to get a timer and I should be soon. I’m just using seachem flourish bc it’s not planted heavily at all. It’s fully stocked. I don’t understand how the algae appeared when i haven’t changed anything since the tanks was running

I disinfect my new plants when they come in with hydrogen peroxide. I read about it quite some time back. Safe so far. :)

I disinfect my new plants when they come in with hydrogen peroxide. I read about it quite some time back. Safe so far. :)

That is a quite different thing from adding it to the tank water, which I had assumed to be the question. But even so, I would not want to uproot the plants to dip them in this, or anything else. It is a habit many of us get into of thinking we have to do something for "x" but it is usually of more benefit to us [thinking we've done something] than it is to the aquarium.

You may very well be right. I thought they were spraying the plant. It didn’t even occur to me that someone may pour it in their tank. Yikes!

That is a quite different thing from adding it to the tank water, which I had assumed to be the question. But even so, I would not want to uproot the plants to dip them in this, or anything else. It is a habit many of us get into of thinking we have to do something for "x" but it is usually of more benefit to us [thinking we've done something] than it is to the aquarium.
Hydrogen peroxide is perfectly safe for fish. You just can’t put too much in tho.

Its safe for fish. I would use it again with this in mind,after removing what plant I could..spray and rinse off before putting back in the tank. If you do spray or pipette underwater?..try to not let any go to waste as many plants- including choice mosses and ferns are very sensitive to HP.
What you want to do is do it as part of a change you need to make..shorter hours or less wattage. Shorter hours seems most natural.

I used it in a spray bottle to kill some black beard algae on some anubias I bought and it worked. Takes a little time but it is gone.

Attachments

• GEDC1522.JPG
    GEDC1522.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 100

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back