Hydrilla verticillata (L. f.) Royle info

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

KevinZ

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi! I doing some research and i think i will use my 5 Gallon tanks. I want to re-create Underwater Kelp. I want this plant but i can't get any info such as Water Parameters, plant temperature. Or etc.
All i know is they grow up to 2-3 Meter ? :rofl:(and yes i know 5 gallon seem to small for this.) And i only going to keeping plant. No fish, shrimp, or snail. Plant only ~

Hydrilla verticillata (L. f.) Royleis is known as Water Thyme Florida Elodea. any info will help a lot. :) <3 thanks !

I'm not sure about this specific species of Elodea but you can also get Anarcharis relitively easily which looks similar. I think with either species they are known as water weed so there wont be any specific water parameters.

I like the idea of trying to recreate a kelp scene but I think you should add some livestock to get some kind of scale as thats whats amazing about kelp is the size. Some nano fish like some kind of Badis or Dario species or Sparkling Goruami would look good but I would go with Clown Kilifish, they will really appreciate the dense planting and they have a really reflective eye that will really stand out in there.

You should do the bottom quite rocky with small rock chips and sand and some twig branches pointing up - small decor will give you scale for the 'Kelp' to look big against. If you can get some Subwassertang Moss to have around the base of the Kelp it will look really good too as it looks like seaweed and is quite easy to grow.

Really like the idea of this tank - what are the dimensions of the 5g you have? I'd really like to see this in a tall tank.

Wills

Not really a tall tank. I am going to move it to my 55 gal if i managed to Grow them.
I got it for 5$ alr i got around 30 stem :) . still waiting for growth sign. And if they growing, probably going to re-scape my 55 gallons. Looking like a mess at the moment.
Mainly because my 5 gallons & 10 tank gallon are for my Anubias Farm and for Emergency Quarantine Tank. :wub: probably going to make my 10 gallons for shrimp again. But i dont really have any budget right now. I dont want to depend on my parent's money (if you read my stories at Aussie_Bristle mental Issue Thread you'll know why) ^_^, thank you for the idea !

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back