Hydra Infestation

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mrtajhya

Reaction score
Help!!
One of my tank has been infested by Hydra. It’s growing in number day by day. I have snails in tank. How can I get rid of this Hydras?

guppies+endlers although pea puffers would be nice too as they're voracious hunter-eaters...your snails wouldn't do so well with them

Hydra are hard to beat once established. I have had a lot of trouble with them because I feed freshly hatched brine shrimp, which they love.

In small numbers, they can be carefully shot with a syringe of Hydrogen peroxide. A direct hit with a tiny bit will do them in. But you have to identify the food they are multiplying on. In many tanks, they are just around and never become an issue. Something triggers an 'outbreak'.
There are a lot of species and not a lot of them do serious damage with their stingers.

I have had them doing just fine in guppy tanks. I used to breed wild sourced guppies from a Trinidadian friend, and since they were smaller than linebred guppies they got brine shrimp. Their tanks got Hydra flare ups and they wouldn't eat them even if given no other options.

You are in the US, so you may be able to get chemical products that'll kill them. Any helpful US members who can suggest something?

guppies+endlers although pea puffers would be nice too as they're voracious hunter-eaters...your snails wouldn't do so well with them
I have guppies in that tank. They don’t seem to go for hydra.

guppies won't go for something that's acquired a certain size... you can maybe quarantine your snails and let a couple pea puffers go to town...
puffers if hungry enough they'll attack even bigger fish if they can catch them

Fenbendazole (Safeguard dog de-wormer from Petco) will kill hydra. Dose at .1 gram for 10 gallons. It will not kill snails. I don't know about shrimp though.

Take the stuff you want, alive, out of the tank. Heat up the water to 40C for an hour or two. You really need to go nuclear on these things, they will come back if you don't kill or remove it 100%.

This is what @Colin_T told me when I had them:
You can kill them with salt - 2 heaped tablespoons of aquarium salt or rock salt per 20 litres/5 gallons. Keep salt in tank for 2 weeks.
It worked.

He also told me I could electrocute them in the water with batteries. I ignored that bit.

Take the stuff you want, alive, out of the tank. Heat up the water to 40C for an hour or two. You really need to go nuclear on these things, they will come back if you don't kill or remove it 100%.
104F?

How do you do that, build a fire under the tank? :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back