Hydra in my tank.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Crunchycrouton

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a planted tank I just noticed hydra in. I have copepods which I'm not worried about. It has been cycling for about a month. I'm planning to get goldfish soon.. spending at least 150 dollars on one. At least 5-6 inches. Will the hydra harm it? Should I wait to buy the fish until the hydra are gone? I heard hydra cant really do harm to fish over 3 inches.. I just want to make sure that's true.

Why would you pay $150 for a goldfish?

The hydra will be feeding on the copepods but they won't harm big fish. Hydra will eat fish eggs and baby fish so if you want to breed your goldfish, get rid of the hydra first.

You can kill hydra with salt or copper. If there's no fish in the tank, add 4 heaped tablespoons of rock salt for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of tank water. Keep the salt in there for a couple of days then do a water change to get rid of it.

Yup I ditto, ColinT's advice especially if you gonna spend $150 on 1 fish, I'll suspect that one really fancy goldfish. So you might as well wait and get your tank spic and span clean for your investment. When you do get it please post a pic ,would luv to see the type you got.

Why would you pay $150 for a goldfish?

The hydra will be feeding on the copepods but they won't harm big fish. Hydra will eat fish eggs and baby fish so if you want to breed your goldfish, get rid of the hydra first.

You can kill hydra with salt or copper. If there's no fish in the tank, add 4 heaped tablespoons of rock salt for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of tank water. Keep the salt in there for a couple of days then do a water change to get rid of it.
It's a show quality fancy goldfish, and its good to hear they wont harm the goldfish. I'm planning to breed them but not anytime soon because I'm moving in a little over a year.

Yup I ditto, ColinT's advice especially if you gonna spend $150 on 1 fish, I'll suspect that one really fancy goldfish. So you might as well wait and get your tank spic and span clean for your investment. When you do get it please post a pic ,would luv to see the type you got.
Of course.

I got the goldfish. It’s a Thai oranda Kirin, 8 inches. We got it at King koi and goldfish. 200 dollars.

Attachments

• 19E6EDEB-90B0-4562-8608-085ECB70B174.jpeg
    19E6EDEB-90B0-4562-8608-085ECB70B174.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 54
  • E0D8E30D-E027-48C2-AE1E-FC0FC83E1ED8.jpeg
    E0D8E30D-E027-48C2-AE1E-FC0FC83E1ED8.jpeg
    245.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 982C45C2-8107-41CF-9E34-273947D5CDB2.jpeg
    982C45C2-8107-41CF-9E34-273947D5CDB2.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 51
It looks a little sunken in on the back under the dorsal fin, and the bubbly bits around the eyes are uneven. They cover more of the right eye while the left eye is complete free of obstruction. It shouldn't make any difference to it's overall life in an aquarium though. As long as your happy with the fish, that's what counts.

Nice fish. The problem with oranda’s is the wren keeps growing. I hate to say this, but that fishes vision will soon be obstructed. You’ll have to take it to an aquatic vet to have the wren trimmed. Don’t try to do it yourself. I stay away from oranda’s for that reason. The red cap oranda only has a “cap” for a wren so I ike those. May I be so bold as to ask why you spent $200.00 on a goldfish? Have you ever shown them before? The only way you’ll ever get big money for a fry is if you show yours and it gets some championship titles under its belt. Then the fry will still have to meet show standards which very few do. I paid $4.00 for my 8” moor and she has made me lots of fry. I only get $2.00/each for them at lfs. Is yours male or female? My males were my best investment. Most beautiful goldies. Still only $2/fry at lfs and they were considered “Quality”. Best time to breed goldfish are between 18 months and 5 years. After that, they produce less viable eggs. Most goldfish stop producing eggs altogether at about 8 years or so. Hope this helps some. :)

Last edited:
It looks a little sunken in on the back under the dorsal fin, and the bubbly bits around the eyes are uneven. They cover more of the right eye while the left eye is complete free of obstruction. It shouldn't make any difference to it's overall life in an aquarium though. As long as your happy with the fish, that's what counts.
I do agree with what your saying... I
Nice fish. The problem with oranda’s is the wren keeps growing. I hate to say this, but that fishes vision will soon be obstructed. You’ll have to take it to an aquatic vet to have the wren trimmed. Don’t try to do it yourself. I stay away from oranda’s for that reason. The red cap oranda only has a “cap” for a wren so I ike those. May I be so bold as to ask why you spent $200.00 on a goldfish? Have you ever shown them before? The only way you’ll ever get big money for a fry is if you show yours and it gets some championship titles under its belt. Then the fry will still have to meet show standards which very few do. I paid $4.00 for my 8” moor and she has made me lots of fry. I only get $2.00/each for them at lfs. Is yours male or female? My males were my best investment. Most beautiful goldies. Still only $2/fry at lfs and they were considered “Quality”. Best time to breed goldfish are between 18 months and 5 years. After that, they produce less viable eggs. Most goldfish stop producing eggs altogether at about 8 years or so. Hope this helps some. :)
Thank you ! This Goldie is a female. I knew the wren would keep growing... and yes, I will most likely be showing this fish when I get the chance.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back