Hydra: How to Eradicate!

LIVEBait

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new to this board, and glad to be here. :D

This is my first setup after being away from the hobby for more than 10 years.
I appologize if I have alot of newbie questions. :X

I've concluded, after many hours of researching data on the net, that what I have is an infestation of Hydra in my 60 US gallon, freshwater setup:

Newly established tank, just completing its initial cycle:
Temp: 77 F
PH: 7.8 (stable)
Amm: 0
NitrIte: 1.0 (slowing decreasing)
NitrAte: 15 (slightly increasing)

Inhabitants: 1- 2 inch Parachromis Loisellei

No live plants, No live foods. Fish being fed with New Life Spectrum, and Hikari pellets.

Anyone have first hand experience with dealing with these critters???
Your help is greatly appreciated.

My first step of attack was a gravel vac- 30% water change.

I've reduced feeding to a minimum. My question is what are they feeding on?
Nitrites? Nitrates? Phosphates? Fish poop?

My next phase of its removal will be Fluke tabs. :sad:

My description of the aliens: clear-white in color, 0-2mm in size. Tree-flower-like.
One stem or stalk used as its base for attachment with 8-10 arm-like branches waving at the top. These thing appear to be on every surface inside my aquarium, and are spreading at an alarming rate. :sick:

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

Thanks for the reply dolphin. I appreciate it. :)

I've read some reports where salt did work, although I've also read conflicting reports that it didnt work... the person didnt probably use enough. Or if the salt did work, the hydra returned soon enough.

With my case, salt would have to be a one of the last resolves I try. I have only one aquarium, and wouldnt have anywhere to put my fish. Also, I wouldnt want to have these vermon spread elsewhere. So my goal is containment, and complete eradication of their existence! :crazy:

Why do you want to get rid of them? Hydras are carnivores and they are feeding of some small critters in your tank. Hydras eat ich. Hydras eat velvet. Hydras eat mostly live food and for them to do so well in your tank must mean that there are little critters in there to be eaten. Hydras wont harm your fish in any way shape or form. they remove nutrients from the water (just like any biomass) and they help keep your aquarium disease free. Keep them! I want them but my puffer eats them whenever I find some. If you really must get rid of them a few female bettas would clear the problem right up and in south cal you can keep the bettas in jars on the shelf with no heater or filter if you change the water regularly.

Keep them!

Opcn

Thanks for the info, tstenback. :cool:
From reading that article, these aliens might be hard to get rid of. :crazy:

Thanks also for your info, opcn :)
What evidence do you have to support the fact that Hydra will eat ich or velvet?
I suppose I could leave the Hydra for now...they are relatively small in size, yet increasing in number, and have done no harm to my fish...for what I can see. If they are truly that benificial, I see no reason to rid them. Although I may want to breed my fish in the future, and I hear Hydra can eat small fry.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back