Hybrid Jack Demsey

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

guppymonkey

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have a male Convict Cichlid and what I believe is a female Jack Demsey. I have heard of Jack Demseys crossbreeding with Convicts but never have seen a picture of the offspring. I am pretty sure they are from the same genus so I would guess that a hybrid would be possible.

Please don't send this topic to the Hybrid Forum (no one ever posts there!).

They should be able to breed they are from the same genus so maybe. The fry might be sterile though

Yeh seems it, go for it mate, if you have too many offspring ill take them off of your hands :d:D

''no one ever posts there'' LOL

Anyone that knows about hybrids probably checks this forum also.. but anyways yea they can cross breed. I've heard of them on other forums but never seen pics of them before.

JDs arent as excited to breed as convicts. I suggest you go female COn and male JD but that is my opinion.

I am working on texas x JD so good luck to you 2.

Yes JDs are of the same genus as Cons. they both belong to the Archocentrus genus so a hybird is very much possible.

and yes it is going to be moved to the hybirds forum as that is WHERE IT BELONGS!!!! :p :p :p

actually, according to Juan Miguel Artigas Azaz and his website The Cichlid Room Companion (which is what I always go by for the most updated taxonomical nomenclature), yes the Jack Dempsey has been moved to the Archocentrus genus, but the convict and most of its cousins have also been moved to the Cryptoheros genus. The only Archocentrus (according to Juan Miguel's site) species are octofasciatus (JD), spinossissum and centrarchus. Some people also include panamensis in the Archocentrus genus but Juan Miguel has it listed as a Neetroplus. :)

despite all that though a convict and a jack dempsey can certainly hybridize. cichlids don't necessarily have to be in the same genus to hybridize. for instance, I've seen pics of a red devil/jag cross, red terror/jack dempsey cross, jack dempsey/texas cross etc. not to mention that most flowerhorns are a potpourri of several cichlids from several different genus'.

:)

^^ that was probably the most confusing post I've ever seen lol.... all sorts of interesting words that I don't know the meaning of ahhhaha... INTERESTING! :hey:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back