Hurt birdy

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

G

Guest14017

Poor little sweetie. Before anybody goes in on me - I have called everyone I can who handles these wild animals. Most have a recording to leave a message. The one who I did get with a live person - he said they have no volunteers and are unable to pick up any animals.

We were told that we would have to capture the bird ourselves and then find out where some place could take it. It's been around for about a month. He has an injured wing and cannot fly. I toss him cat food when I see him but I am unsure if he eats it or not.

He is afraid of people of course. I have no experience with birds and he is a large wild buzzard and I will not attempt to catch the bird myself. If I still see him over the next few weeks - I will call again and see if they have any volunteers available perhaps.

Just keep putting food and clean water out for it several times a day. But remove uneaten food at night to stop unwanted predators coming around and potentially killing the bird.

If the bird sees you putting food out for it, they usually tame down a bit and you might be able to pat it in a few weeks or a month's times. You might not either, depending on if the bird was injured by people. But most birds tame down pretty quickly with people that don't frighten, threaten or harass them, and if you feed them.

I sometimes see the bird. Sometimes not. It doesn't come down my street. I just get out of the car and toss cat food to it when I see it. I can't leave bowls of water in other people's yard etc. And I don't see the bird daily. Only now and then.

In which case, just keep doing what you are doing and hope the department of fish and wildlife can come out soon and catch it. However, they might just shoot it if they are morons like the guys here.

Poor little sweetie. Before anybody goes in on me - I have called everyone I can who handles these wild animals. Most have a recording to leave a message. The one who I did get with a live person - he said they have no volunteers and are unable to pick up any animals.

We were told that we would have to capture the bird ourselves and then find out where some place could take it. It's been around for about a month. He has an injured wing and cannot fly. I toss him cat food when I see him but I am unsure if he eats it or not.

He is afraid of people of course. I have no experience with birds and he is a large wild buzzard and I will not attempt to catch the bird myself. If I still see him over the next few weeks - I will call again and see if they have any volunteers available perhaps.
I am a licensed veterinary technician but dont have experience with wild birds as large as this guy. Trying to catch him without experience could cause added injury. That said you could try a large plastic dog kennel with the door open and some earth worms inside to attract him. He may or may not go in but could be worth a try so you could transport him. Some of the resources we have in Seattle include zoos - do you have a zoo in your area you could contact? They may be able to offer good advice, or even other resources, for you to try even if they cannot trap him.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back