Hurray!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Captain Retardo

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hello, today I just got my tanked stocked to the level I want it to be! it is a 29 gallon and now I have":

2 Bolivian Rams
6 Corydoras Trilineatus
1 Dwarf Gourami
8 Harlequin Rasboras
2 Cherry Barbs

But I do have a couple of question:

1) I did a fishless cycle, and I first started stocking my tank about 2 weeks ago, at first there were 6 Corydoras Trilineatus, 5 Harlequin Rasboras and 2 Cherry Barbs, today I added 2 ADULT Rams, 1 ADULT Gourami, and 3 JUVENILE Rasboras. Will this start a mini-cycle? Should I just do an extra water change for a couple of weeks? BTW- The tank has 2 Vallisneria Spiralis, and 2 Java Ferns, i plan on later getting some Java moss. (perhaps next week?)

2) How do you do a water change with a bucket? I did mine by just dumping all the water in, but this got water everywhere and I think it stressed the fish, so now i put a stool with some phonebooks on it and syphon the water slowly into the tank...

3) What is the best way to take pictures of your fish? My camera dosen't seem to take good pictures, they are always blurry, what conditions should i take pictures in?

I hope to get pics soon!

1) im not sure... im not to bright when it comes to cycles

2) i probably do it in a way to impractical for a 29 gallon, but i put the water in water jugs (the same ones you buy at the store full of water... i reuse mine and treat the water ext.) and then pour it in slowly....

3) Turn the flash off the camera, focus on a leaf or something that wont move in the tank, then if a fish swims by 3 inches infront of the leaf, move the cam 3 inches back and take the pic... theres a pinned thread about it on members aquarium and fish pictures... its sooo usefull.... i used to be so bad with cameras and fish lol

Hope i helped..even if its just alittle

I used to use one of those water jugs with a tap attached to them, fill it, set it on top of the tank, then lift that little trigger and let it flow out of the nozzle. ( for filling a tank) Then I got a python syphon and haven't looked back once. :D

when you did your first adding of fish after your fishless cycle - was there a spike then and did you test the water?

by adding ammonia in order to get through the fishless cycle - our filter then starts to grow with bacteria needed - the first lot of fish that was put in - there may have been enough bacteria to cope with the fsh stock you have - and the rest dying off as there is not enough ammonia production to keep them alive................

now you have added more fish - i would bet that a spike is due - as you are NOW adding more ammonia producers to the tank (hopefully not that many) for the bacteria to cope with orat the very least to catch up with the ammonia now being produced in the higher quantity

uhhh, I haven't tested the water after my fishless cycle, but I will soon, sorry...

so for now, I wont feed the fish that much and I'll do an extra water change on wednesday

a mini cycle is certainly possible. do daily checks on your water stats to monitor.

with regards to water changes i used to have this problem, and raising the bucket higher than the tank for a syphon was hard (i sat it on my shoulder.) then i bought a battery operated vac to do bottom cleans in between water changes - and voila, i use that to syphon that water into the tank and out of thank as well - you dont need the height difference cos its a powered vaccum you create. the last bit in the bottom i can then easily pour in quite contolled.

hey captain congrartulations. It always feels good to have your tank stocked.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back