Hurray!***-pearling!***-hurray!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

hellohefalump

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I know this happens to some of you all the time... but it's the first time it's ever happened to me and i'm well pleased and very excited!!! what a sad person I am...

I added two more lights today and my anubias has started pearling!

Just thought I'd let you all bask in my joy!

:yahoo: First time i saw my plants pearl i was chuffed aswell, now the novelty has worn off a bit.

I've got even more bubbles now, my Hemianthus 'cuba' has a few bubbles and my java fern is starting to bubble too!

How many watts per gallon does your tank have?

I now have 4X54 watt T5 bulbs. So that's 216watts in total and my tank is 100gals, so that's slightly over 2 watts per gallon of T5 light.

Pearling is when your plants bubble out oxygen. On my anubias and java fern, there is a steady stream of tiny bubbles floating to the top - it looks like 'threads' coming off it. And on my HC, there are bigger bubbles, but they're staying put, just balancing on the plant, not coming up to the top.

You will be on more than 2.16wpg of light. on tanks over 30g it bacomes more leanient adn with T5, again it is more leanient. The wpg was based on T12's (which nobody uses) but now a days we usually base them on T8's

Do you think my light is good, or am I asking for algae? Bearing in mind when all my plants grow in bigger, it will be a heavily planted tank. At the moment I'd call it a medium planted tank.

I have two 500g CO2 bottles running (one on either end of the tank). They are JBL ones - I bought two 'JBL CO2 easy 2' sets. They each do an aquarium of 250litres - mine is 400litres which is why I'm running two of them. I'm testing the CO2 levels with a JBL permanent CO2 test and it's currently in the 'ok' range.

This week I am dosing EI method because it's done with teaspoons, but when my scale comes in the post (I've ordered it off ebay) I will start dosing PPS method.

well in that case you are not asking for algae providing you sufficiantly dose your tank.

I am not sure if you can use tank water, even if it is 4kh. This is because of all the other elemnts that exist in the water which can give an inaccurate results. 4dkh solution which you buy (or make) is made up of:

sodium bi-carbonate
distilled water - this is used to make sure no other elemnts can affect the reading.

The instructions said to use tank water. Although I can see in theory how it might be better to make my own solution. I will try that and see if the colour is the same. Is Sodium bi-carbonate the same as 'bicarbonate of soda' that you use to make cakes?

Is distilled water the same as RO water? I know distilled water is what you get when water evaporates, but the only access I have to 'true' distilled water is out of the bottom of my tumble dryer and I worry there might be traces of detergent in it? Could I use RO?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back