Hull's International Fisheries Instution

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BadBadger

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Over the past couple of weeks i've been working in the local university. Well, today i got the "access all area's" key to the biology department. I knew they had a zoology and marine biology section, but was very happy when i found the freshwater fisheries section. After searching all the rooms, only finding 5 or 6 tanks and jars of dead fish, i finally found "The Cichlid Room"! :D A room roughly 20m x 10m full to the brim with tanks, home to hundreds and hundreds of Lake Malawi Cichlids! Although i don't know much about African Cichlids i was like a kid in a sweetshop. I can imagine many Malawi keepers on here would absolutely love it. Really was amazing. Without doubt i found some meagre excuse to stay there for the rest of the day :hyper:

Has anyone ever done a degree in Freshwater Biology? Zoology or Marine Biology? I can imagine it would be awesome for a fish keeper. I was trying to spark up conversations with the students and lecturers but struggle seen as i was supposed to be working....
"Hey, i'm here to test the ventilation and the fume cupboards. Is that okay?"
"Yeah thats fine. Go ahead."
"Thanks. So what type of fish is this?" haha

Before the end of the day i ran back to my bag to grab my iPod so i could get a few pics (Bad quality i'm affraid :angry: )....

0263B717.jpg

8F9F5CF4.jpg

F11ABC3E.jpg

PS My work mate has aparently discovered the feeding rota :hey: early break tomorrow i reckon!

Cheers

Over the past couple of weeks i've been working in the local university. Well, today i got the "access all area's" key to the biology department. I knew they had a zoology and marine biology section, but was very happy when i found the freshwater fisheries section. After searching all the rooms, only finding 5 or 6 tanks and jars of dead fish, i finally found "The Cichlid Room"! :D A room roughly 20m x 10m full to the brim with tanks, home to hundreds and hundreds of Lake Malawi Cichlids! Although i don't know much about African Cichlids i was like a kid in a sweetshop. I can imagine many Malawi keepers on here would absolutely love it. Really was amazing. Without doubt i found some meagre excuse to stay there for the rest of the day :hyper:

Has anyone ever done a degree in Freshwater Biology? Zoology or Marine Biology? I can imagine it would be awesome for a fish keeper. I was trying to spark up conversations with the students and lecturers but struggle seen as i was supposed to be working....
"Hey, i'm here to test the ventilation and the fume cupboards. Is that okay?"
"Yeah thats fine. Go ahead."
"Thanks. So what type of fish is this?" haha

Before the end of the day i ran back to my bag to grab my iPod so i could get a few pics (Bad quality i'm affraid :angry: )....

0263B717.jpg

8F9F5CF4.jpg

F11ABC3E.jpg

PS My work mate has aparently discovered the feeding rota :hey: early break tomorrow i reckon!

Cheers

I spent four years of at hull uni doing my maters degree and graduated last summer. Never even knew this place existed lol. FUnny thing is i spent my whole time in robert blackburn and chemistry dept, so right inbetween this.

URGH Chemistry... SO MANY FUME CUPBOARDS!!! haha

If you live in Hull you should go and take a look around mate. The whole department is great for fishkeepers to be honest :good:

If you live in Hull you should go and take a look around mate. The whole department is great for fishkeepers to be honest :good:

I live the other side of the bridge. I do come to hull regularly and pop into uni to catch up with people. May check this out if i can sneak in

I live the other side of the bridge. I do come to hull regularly and pop into uni to catch up with people. May check this out if i can sneak in

The ground floor, with the cichlid room, is having a lot of work done at the mintue so they've turned off the key card thingy mi bob :good:

The ground floor, with the cichlid room, is having a lot of work done at the mintue so they've turned off the key card thingy mi bob :good:

cheers fella

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back