Huge Problem With New Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

sneezy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi. I am an experienced fishkeeper but have had a complete disaster and am at a bit of a loss.

Have had a Roma 200 (4ft) running for about 2 yrs. Was set up after a fishless cycle, a few teething problems but all ok really.

Anyway yesterday (my worst in fishkeeping) everything went a bit wrong. I was getting a new cabinet so stripped tank down, had fish in tub, filter material in bucket of water. Well anyway it all went wrong for various reasons and the fish and filter material ended up being out for about 9 hrs :crazy: and then ended up going back into a 120l bow tank that luckily I managed to get off a mate.

So cleaned the tank, set up the filter, heater etc and got the fish in there. They seemed ok. Shy but ok. went to bed and expected a few losses. In the morning 2 losses - didn't think much of it tbh as expected to lose a few after the shock. Anyway did a 30 water change anyway. went to work. Came back and a further 9 fish dead :/

Immediately did a 50% change and got my friend round with her API test kit. Ammonia 0, Nitrite either 1 or 5, can't quite tell, Nitrate 20 whih is normal for my water and PH 7.4 also normal for here.

Now here is the thing - if I'm going through a cycle because my filter was out for too long why is the ammonia at zero and the nitrite so high so quickly. I'd expect it after a couple of days, not hours. Also after testing did another water change and got it down to 0.25 (which i know is not great) but within 30 mins it was back to skyhigh again. I don't understand how its shooting up so quickly.

Is it possible that my filter material has turned toxic from being out too long so i am actually continously poisoning the water. I deliberately didn't clean it as I wanted to save any good bacteria but am worried it has had the opposite effect???

I keep thinking I should maybe give the filter a good clean but can't help thinking it will make it worse as it appears to be processing the ammonia.

don't know what to do except water changing but in reality will only be able to manage 3 or 4 tomorrow as have work and child commitments. Fish all sitting at the top so will be dead by morning. even my Raphael catfish is out and flicking and I never see him so must be bad :sad:

Please give me advice and please no you should have dones because I do know but just did my best I could when it all went wrong. :-(

That is strange, There is a member on the forum who has just completed his fishless cycle yet every time he did a large water change in his cycles later stages the A&N Bacs were some how unsettled by it. A few of the members and myself were under the conclusion that pH, gH, and kH differences in tank and tap water chemistry may have played a part in this behaviour. The good news is that within 24-48 hours things were back on track. Hope things get sorted for you.

Keith.

I have had nitrite spikes before when my filter has failed. I wonder if the nitrite processing bacteria aren't a bit more fragile and may die off sooner. Water changes are your best bet.

Sorry for your losses. :sad:
Yeah looks like you are somehow at the nitrite stage of a cycle. Did you go straight cold water into the tank or did you mix your water so its luke warm?! Also I find whenever I transfer fish into a new tank, putting a little stress coat seems to help out, Actually I switched from using stress coat to seachem stability, and it seems to do a good job.

That is strange, There is a member on the forum who has just completed his fishless cycle yet every time he did a large water change in his cycles later stages the A&N Bacs were some how unsettled by it. A few of the members and myself were under the conclusion that pH, gH, and kH differences in tank and tap water chemistry may have played a part in this behaviour. The good news is that within 24-48 hours things were back on track. Hope things get sorted for you.

Keith.

That was me, it has happened twice now so I am resigned to it. As keith said it settles down again in a day or so. I know this doesnt help if you have fish in there but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Dont clean the filter, give it 24 hours & you should see some results.

Tom

I only managed 1 50% water change on Friday which again took it down to 0.25. Then tested this morning before water changing and both Ammonia and Nitrite was ZERO. Yay!!

Oh and I also added aquarium salt last night as I read that although it doesn't remove nitrite it can control some of the effect to the fish.

Anyway, am well happy and have lost no more fish. I think 1 may have dropsy, which is hardly surprising but all in all quite pleased that it was so quick to sort out.

Thanks

when you mean your filter was out to long
did you mean out of water or sat in a bucket
of water to long also did you put new gravel
on to of old gravel

Dont be afraid to overdo it pretty good with something like Seachem Prime if that happens again. Aside from acting as a dechlorinator, it also detoxifies ammonia and nitrite so while they still may measure as present in the tank, they won't be harming your fish.

Most reactions

Back