Huge Problem Big Huge One Seriously Need Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AJGray

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
We woke up this morning to find a bubble nest only good thing in the tank

but we have also woke up to find a dead cherry barb and 2 dead black neon tetras

upto yesterday all water permamiters were spot on but.... there is this film thing on the topof the water looks like a greasy oil film but fluffy and allthe fish are staying at the top of the water apart from our female bettas

quick help much appreciated

p.s taking water readings now!

...Lends me to think of low O2 in the tank. The Bettas are OK because they can breath air directly if they need to (due to it’s labyrinth organ).

So, try placing filter outlet such that it disturbs the water more. Airstones don't do much for oxygenation levels, but will increase it a bit.

Just guessing though...

Andy

We have oxegnating (sp sorry) plants in

our air stone just went off and wont work now

as a quick fix will them o2 tablets work???

the neons have started coming down now, nd the guppies are but then going back up, but our 2 last black neons nd the glass cats are still up the top

Get some surface agitation going on. I'm not saying this is the answer, but it could be.

As for oxy tablets, I don't know - never used them. They will only be a short term fix anyway and that to me = waste of time & money.

GL,

Andy

sorry laptop is crappy and sometimes it doesnt put some letters in as im typing faster than its putting up

the filter has adgitated the water but im still unsure about this film thing thats going on

I'd bet 90% of all fishtanks on the planet has an oily film on it.

Those that don't place the outlets from external filters 1/2 in & 1/2 out of the water. For this they use lilly pipes. This creates a kind of whirlpool which sucks the oily film into the water. You could try water changing it out if it really bothers you, as it will impair O2 exchamge.

Andy

Thing is i don't get why they are all on the surface trying to get air even though they can't take air off the surface.

Really got us puzzled though

We turned the filter up and the tetras have came down a few times but then go straight back up

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back