Huge mistake... Im so mad at myself...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So, I was doing a lot of hard work for my first water change... Getting water, putting it in, now repeat that like 8 times... Oh, and also spilling it everywhere on our wood floors... So after all that I'm down to my last bucket of water, and I realized something... I never put any fricking dechlorinator in the buckets of water!!!! Im pretty sure I commited a bacterial mass murder and I have to restart the cycle... Anything I should do? If you say a large water change I will literally throw my phone across planet earth

Agree. If chlorine was at toxic levels, the fish would all be at the surface with red gills. If not, then you may have lucked out with low chlorine levels, or not enough in the water change volume.

The level of chlorine in most water supplies is certainly toxic to fish, but not all bacteria. Most of the nitrifying bacteria will survive depending upon the level of chlorine. And it is the nitrifying bacteria living in the chlorinated tap water that starts the cycle to begin with.

Ok, I only added double dechlorination.... thank you guys! Should I add more ammonia (like 2ppm)?

Ok, I only added double dechlorination.... thank you guys! Should I add more ammonia (like 2ppm)?

I suspect Colin like myself assumed this was a cycled tank with fish. Why are you adding ammonia?

I thought rocky didn’t have fish yet? I think he’s trying to determine if it destroyed the tank’s cycle

I thought rocky didn’t have fish yet? I think he’s trying to determine if it destroyed the tank’s cycle

Well, if so, the answer to this is "no." If the bacteria that start the cycle arrive in the chlorinated tap water, adding chlorinated tap water is not going to kill all of them. It may set them back a bit, depending upon the numbers and the level of chlorine, but normally chlorine does not kill nitrifying bacteria.

Well, if so, the answer to this is "no." If the bacteria that start the cycle arrive in the chlorinated tap water, adding chlorinated tap water is not going to kill all of them. It may set them back a bit, depending upon the numbers and the level of chlorine, but normally chlorine does not kill nitrifying bacteria.
Yeah, I have no fish rn... This is good to hear

Hmmm maybe try adding supplemental Nitrifying bacteria just to be safe? I tend to be overtly parandoid with bacteria levels so Im typically adding Seachem Stability with every water change generally

Hmmm maybe try adding supplemental Nitrifying bacteria just to be safe? I tend to be overtly parandoid with bacteria levels so Im typically adding Seachem Stability with every water change generally
I may do this if my nitrates and nitrites are all weird and can't process any ammonia... Thank you for the recommendation!

Question? Do you have Chlorine or Chloramine in your water supply? If you have Chlorine, you have nothing to worry about, because you have no fish. What you are doing is going know where now. If you want to have fish in this tank at some point you will need to change tracks.

Question? Do you have Chlorine or Chloramine in your water supply? If you have Chlorine, you have nothing to worry about, because you have no fish. What you are doing is going know where now. If you want to have fish in this tank at some point you will need to change tracks.
How should I "change tracks" as you propose

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back