How’s this for controversial…

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Oli

Fishaholic
Reaction score
As the title says…

For the past week, I have successfully kept a red/giant snakehead in a 200 litre tank with cardinal tetras…

Now I know people will have extreme opinions on this. The reason behind it, is a friend of my has been looking for one for ages. He is awaiting a custom built 1400 litre tank for it but his stores have been unable to source them.

When visiting my lfs last week, I saw they had one so I am holding it for him. I am aware these fish can grow 5ft which is bigger than my tank, but for now, he’s around 6 inches, and seems to be thriving, and to my amazement, hasn’t touched a single tetra.

Just thought I’d share, because I know the words Giant Snakehead, tetras, and 200 litres are absolutley ridiculous to hear in a sentence.

Anyway, he will be going to a great home soon and I can’t wait to watch him grow up, already feeling attached, it is such a personable fish.

Let the backlash begin 😅

Attachments

• 19CAD13F-5744-4C71-91C9-CEBB936D4F1E.png
    19CAD13F-5744-4C71-91C9-CEBB936D4F1E.png
    166.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 5713CE84-3DCD-436A-BCC7-408B1310F2F7.png
    5713CE84-3DCD-436A-BCC7-408B1310F2F7.png
    524.5 KB · Views: 49
  • C6DB6A39-456C-4028-A52B-3B55CA0B1C80.png
    C6DB6A39-456C-4028-A52B-3B55CA0B1C80.png
    454 KB · Views: 48
He won’t be cute for very long 😅 a very well behaved little monster for now however

Yah as he grows he probably will start to eat the Cardinal tetras (Paracheirodon axelrodi). So its food its not a long term thing. If it was, in a month or two you may start to notice less and less fish in the tank 😅

Oh yeah he’ll be in his forever home by then, honestly I’m surprised he’s not made a move for some of them already, as said he seems to be a very well behaved fish… for now

Oh yeah he’ll be in his forever home by then, honestly I’m surprised he’s not made a move for some of them already, as said he seems to be a very well behaved fish… for now
Sounds like he is being a good guest for now 😅

They aren't evil! They are dangerous to ecologies, much like we are. The measures to ban them are sensible, and the people who smuggle them deserve the penalties they get.
Channa's a diverse Genus and there are lots of species that would be safe to keep. You can't expect a border guard to be able to distinguish them, so all are banned in many countries, to keep a very invasive predator out.
I know it's fun to be shocking and you seem to have expected a backlash. Sorry.
If you were keeping them in Canada, you'd deserve one, because the fools trying to smuggle them not only provide easy ammunition for groups who would like to ban the hobby, but they create a serious risk to native fish species. We are supposed to like fish and nature here, right?
Channa micropeltes isn't banned in the UK (C. argus is).

Just a thought. A lot of predators eat a large meal every few days. Once they digest, they go looking.

I only expected backlash because the thought of putting a potential 5ft predator fish in a 55 gallon tank with tetras seems like a recipe for disaster. I don’t think at the size that he is, it is inappropriate to hold him for a while. Any losses to tetras I will be reimbursed for, but I’m quite frankly shocked he hasn’t tried anything yet. Here’s to hoping it stays peaceful!

Sometimes it's the anaconda that just ate a small pig effect. I hope you get him to his home before the housecat vanishes. Maybe he's waiting for a full meal instead of those individual macaroni piece cardinals. He could be lazy...

I once leaned over the tank of a large Arapaima legally destined for a public aquarium. I jumped back just as it decided it could take my skull for lunch. Pretty fish, but at best I would have re-enacted the Mr Bean xmas turkey scene.

He’s gone to his forever home and the Cardinals go on! Risky stuff, wouldn’t recommend 😅
Yay! Glad to hear it didn't harm the tetras!
It's cool you could have the chance to keep him for a bit...

I once leaned over the tank of a large Arapaima legally destined for a public aquarium. I jumped back just as it decided it could take my skull for lunch. Pretty fish, but at best I would have re-enacted the Mr Bean xmas turkey scene.

Wow! How big was he? They're amazingly cool fish - but yeah, not for the home aquarium! I sometimes watch a youtube channel called Ohio Fish Rescue that take in the giant fish people can't house anymore, and they converted a swimming pool into a giant tank mainly because they had some pretty sizeable (but still nowhere near as large as some wild specimens) arapaima. Love seeing them on a channel like that and looked up some River Monsters episodes that featured them and wow! Yeah, if he'd smashed into your head, you'd have been gonzo.

Still, pretty awesome experience that makes a great story! :lol:
He’s gone to his forever home and the Cardinals go on! Risky stuff, wouldn’t recommend 😅

Nice to know he's in a huge tank now, and that the cardinals can relax! They looked pretty scared in that photo, all close together and as far away from the snakehead as they can get... lol. Did you get a headcount before and after?

I had a similar, but not as impressive experience recently when I adopted a tank full of fish that included a rainbow shark. I only have small peaceful fish, and a lot of shrimp/cories/plecos other bottom dwellers and fish that would not work at all with a rainbow shark. Had him in QT for almost a month with the oto(!) and three cories he came with, but he bullied the opaline gourami that also came with them, so that one had to be removed. Absolutely beautiful, richly coloured, six inch full size rainbow. Not a fish I've ever wanted, being a small, nano fish lover, but did enjoy having him for those 3-4 weeks, and he was well behaved after I removed the gourami. But also breathed a sigh of relief when I finally found a good home for him. Nice to experience, was a beautiful fish, but not one I want to keep long term!

Question is - what kind of fish do you plan to get now, to go with the cardinals? ;)

Yeah they schooled really nicely actually (clearly out of fear). I did do a before and after head count (bit difficult with so many but I’m fairly sure there’s been no casualties. Maybe 1 or 2 but like I say it’s hard to tell with so many!)

I had juvenile angelfish but they were getting s bit big and chasey so moved them to a 120 litre to let them grow together.

The tank now has cardinals and a Pearl gourami. I’m thinking maybe some rummy nose tetras and some more Pearls. I’m not too familiar with nano fish so a trip down the shop and I’ll see what they’ve got!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back