How'd it all begin?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

gadazobe

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Just out of plain curiosity (nosey parker - that's me :) ) how did it all begin for you all? (fish keeping that is :blush: )
I live in a small flat (appartment for our friends across the lake) and it has a very dark entrance, so I thought - ah aquarium!!!! :laugh: . Buy tank, put in water, add fish - end of story. Boy, was I mistaken :p - to start with I lost most of my fish :( - I didn't know a thing (still don't know a lot) but gradually after lots of reading and help from forums like this and others - I got hooked :look: I now have 1 community tank 45g and 1 malawi tank also 45g and the promise of those 2 hexes that I spoke about in an earlier post :thumbs:
How about you all? 8)

I grown up with friends with tropical fish and always wanted them - then forgot about it until my Bruv started going out with a lass who had fish. (Now his wife :D )

At that point I actually had the money to get my own and did :)

Well, actually I did after about two months of researching what tank and stuff like that. I found a brilliant website which helped a lot and led to me fishless cycling my first tank. So I happily missed out on the newbie heartache of a cycling fully stocked tank. Although, I nearly ran out of patience in waiting for the tank to cycle! I did have it all planted so there was plenty of leaf movement even without fish.

I'd had the usual fete goldfish as a kid, but I don't think that really counts as starting it all.

I got started really young, me dad got a tank for me and my Bro. Prob was my dad cack all. So I took over. When I meet the Sandra her dad had loads of tanks to. SO the both of us like fish. Sandra is really good at them and has loads of opinions, but the only way she'll get to join this forum is if we get another puter :laugh:

Gad, here is an excerpt from an earlier post of mine,

My fish carreer started a few years ago when I met the missus. I always wanted a fish tank, but when I tried years ago, I screwed it up and decided it was too difficult to deal with. But always continued to marvel at them.

Fast forward. Meet my wife, get talking about fish. Found out she always had a tank. Her ex would never let her get anything larger than a ten gallon. Hah, I decided this fine lady deserved at least a 20 or 30. Go to fish store. 29gal tank and stand..$200. Hmm..55..$400...look a 75 is only a $125 more, and way cool. But look! For only $650, we can get a 90gal.
Yeah, by the time we added gravel, filter, blah blah blah, She had to write the check.(I can't bring myself to write a check with the word thousand in it!

But he wouldn't sell us any fish, He had to think we were crazy. Heck, imagine how long it even takes to set up a monster like this. What, an hour or so?

So My wife makes me stop at two other fish stores on the way home, and we buy over 60 fish!!!

Lucky me, the tank did go up real easy. Four hours later, fish were swimming aroud happy, never lost one.

Looking back, this was an incredibly silly thing to do. I would never recommend anyone to do it this way, but it is amazing what you can get away with sometimes. I think I know her secret too. Once, as I was trying to get the filter plumbing correct, I glanced over, and saw her whispering into one of the bags of fish......you be the judge....

OK you asked,
Many, many years ago I was in a pet store (forget why) and decided to have a look at the fish. As soon as I walked into the fishroom...there it was..the biggest gold severum I have ever seen. Well I was hooked. Walked out of there several hundred dollars lighter and never looked back.

Within two months had 18 tanks going...

Got out of it for a few years and basically you all know the current status...135 tanks and growing...

Larry

GL - I've heard of horse whisperers (?) but fish whisperers...... :what: Seems to work tho, when I started I lost about 15 fish :cry: and cried my eyes out over each one :( but now I've learnt the error of my ways and seem to be ok :)

When i was little it all was all looking at my dads tanks and helping him. I joined the raf and had a small tank in my room, but they made me move rooms and someone stole the tank. so for a while i had no tanks.I got into fish keeping in a big way after i met the wife The first thing we bought for our
new house was a fishtank. We moved recently and the number of tanks dropped. As soon as we get a shed the tanks will be going back up in number im hoping to breed angels. As for now i have two. A 4ft marine and a 4ft in the process of being setup, ohh and the 6ft thats empty but i aint reall got space for it, or the money at the moment.

I was given my first tank (a 110L tank), complete with fish and plants, by a friend who thought it might be calming for my autistic son.

Since I was given this gift, I've spent an absolute fortune on it and now have three tanks going and another one waiting in the garage for when I have more cash.

I haven't noticed my autistic son getting any calmer, but for a 4 year old with learning disabilities, he's pretty expert about fish care!
:D

He likes to count the drops when I do the water testing, and shake the vials. Then he uses his obsession with colours, that he's had since 1 year old, to figure out the results. He also really enjoys water changing and has learned how to siphon (he keeps emptying the paddling pool).

I'm happy to report that the only fish I've lost have been through accidents (I had a few problems with my filter column at first) and two from sickness/old age. 3 fish have been re-homed due to being unsuitable for the tank. The first few weeks were a total nightmare, with one problem after another, but then it has been mostly very enjoyable. I can't wait to start my cichlid tank!

Whacky, I know what you can do with the 6' GIVE IT TO ME :D :D :D
I haven't got the space or the money - but I will find a place, I promise to give it a good home and look after it :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: and love it :love: :love:

:) About 8 or 9 years ago my boss was selling his tank (54x12x15 completewith filters & heaters) but nobody was interested. I said it was probably worth nothing anyway and he promptly gave it to me! I went through all the problems but survived and became totaly addicted. I now have a fish room at the back of the garage full of tanks mainly for breeding and I'm still addicted!! :love: Mac.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back