FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tazzi

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
1iiiie.jpg
24ew8hy.jpg
2nqqhax.jpg
Hey all! I feel that I should add live plants to my aquarium- And why not, make an aquascape out of it..
smile.png

So. How would you aquascape this?
Should I get driftwood? If so, examples and what type?
Should I add rocks? What design?
Should I add more sand?
Should I keep my current fish? (I don't have anywhere to house them during the process.)
What suggested plants should I get?

These do NOT All have to be filled out, (Though preferred.. ^^) But you can give me your ideas on how to rescape it.
My aquariums dimensions are 48 Inch L, 13 Inch W, About 15 1/2 Inch Deep.
My current fish are: 3 Swordtails, 3 Mollies, 1 Angelfish, 2 Corydoras (Peppered),3 Guppies, Two (Or three?) Rubberlip Plecos, 2 Golden Wonder Killis, and 1 Bolivian Ram.
Thanks!

Starting with the substrate, how deep is it now?  I can't tell from the photos but it seems fairly shallow.  For planted tanks you will want about 2 to 3 inches overall depth (meaning, 2-3 inches when level throughout the tank before you arrange it with slightly more in the back and slightly less in the front).  And at this point, you might want to consider a different sand; pure white is not the best for fish, and it makes viewing the tank harder for us because of the glare.  I have play sand in six of seven tanks; it is very inexpensive, natural in appearance (replicates sands in the Amazon) and works well for fish and plants.  Now is the time to change rather than later.

As for wood or rock, this largely depends upon the needs of the intended fish.  Providing an aquascape that resembles the fish's natural environment will always be a benefit, as the fish will be more settled and more likely to exhibit natural colours and behaviours.  Most fish we keep come from creeks and streams with wood (chunks representing fallen tree trunks, branches, roots) so this usually fits in; fish like pleco must have wood to graze as part of their digestive process.  I like the Malaysian Driftwood which is very dark brown and heavy so it sinks immediately, and you can get chunks with crevices and tunnels that are ideal for many substrate fish.  Some habitats have rocks, some don't; some fish won't care, as long as the rock is smooth and not sharp edged.

Dry leaves (oak, beech, maple) are a nice addition, and now being autumn you can collect some that have fallen from the trees (select an area away from traffic and possible pollution); once waterlogged again, they will settled and lay on the sand.  Fish love to graze these for microscopic food, and again they are a natural part of most tropical habitats.

If you do decide to change the sand, I would remove the fish to a temporary holding tank.  It is always wise to have an empty spare tank around for emergencies, and a 20g is what I suggest.  You can use the filter and heater from the existing tank in the temporary while it is in use for this.  I or others can detail the process.

As for plants, there are many that would likely work.  What is the lighting?  And what are your water parameters (GH or general hardness and pH) of the tap water?

Byron.

Lets see.. I don't know my water parameters; But I know that they're pretty good.
I am considering changing the sand to black, perhaps, or maybe like you suggested, Playsand.
My current sand level is one inch I believe.
As for lighting, I know that It's the white LED that's pretty strong. I had some live p;ants, but moved them to my 10 Gallon because I had to do a salt treatment. My aquarium water is very hard I've been told.. I use purified water (Like from a Brita Filter), As I am too afraid to use the tap water. Our water is usually chlorinated highly, and I'm afraid that Prime won't be enough. 
I don't believe I have a housing tank yet, just a 10 gallon I'm using for baby fry.
I've had plants grow in my main aquarium, even when I left them in during the salt treatment, (Whoops.. >.<) But yes.. Thank you for tips. :) I would like a guide I suppose and suggestions.

At this stage,I would recommend you ascertain the water parameters.  First, for your tap water, find out from the municipal water supplier what the GH, KH and pH is.  Most have websites.  We can discuss options for using this when we know the numbers.  Buying or creating water for water changes is not inexpensive or easy, and if the tap water can be used it will be better.

I don't know just what a Brita Filter removes from water, but I would doubt it will do much to soften it.  And home water softeners are usually worse than the hard water due to the salt they add.

On the light, you will likely be OK from what you've mentioned.  I would stay with low and moderate light-requiring plants.  There are lots of options we can consider when we know more about the water.

Byron.

I always recommend valisneria for the back. It makes a brilliant, dynamic background and grows fast even in low light. I bought 20 for my 4ft tank 6 months ago. Now I have over 50 and can't see the back of the glass anymore :) amazon swords and anubias are good for beginner plants and will look good in most settings. Other than that I'm not sure what to recommend. If you can find stuff you like, get some bogood. I think it can really bring a tank to life.

Awesome, thank you! :) Do you know stores that sell it? We don't have very many LFS's around us, except for Fish n' Chirps. Possibly Rift 2 Reef.. I don't like buying from big-name stores like Petco or Petsmart.

More driftwood (i love grapevine!), any branchy type really.......More rocks............And definitely more plants. All the java fern types, Anubias, Val, Swords, Crypts will get you started, These plants can get you a stunning low tech planted tank.....or alternatively you can do a fake planted tank
You may need more sand for plants, you dont need 3 inches for the above plants.....i have them growing in about 1.5inches of white sand. With the likes of swords though, they really need some type of root tab to be really happy.

As for stocking, if you are successfully keeping the fish you currently have, then they cant mind the water conditions. I would just add some more of the Swords, Mollies, Cories
smile.png
The guppies will probably end up as angel fodder once the angel reaches adulthood size.

My angel tank
5ft22ndSep20141a.jpg

I am changing most of my tanks over to sand substrate.....i have tried many colours, and white is my preference now. Fish look nicer, plants contrast better. Thats my preference lol Black too me just makes everything too dark and dreary

Old tank planted with above listed plants
1stApr2012.jpg

Fake planted tank
4ft19thDec2013.jpg

4ft28thFeb20141a.jpg

Wonderful tanks.. ^.^ I may run out today and grab another bag of sand but with a different color and maybe mix it. I'm not sure if I want to get a darker color or not.. I'm also not sure where I'd get the plants at.. But thank you for your help! CX I'll definitely take yalls words and ideas Intl consideration.

Added a black background and one deal of Dwarf Hair Grass.. I also bought a lovely driftwood piece! ^^ I don't have a pot big enough, though.. So I'll, um, try to boil it and see what happens.

There are a plethora of online sources for plants, and most of them offer far better prices, even with shipping than the local stores.  Aquabid also offers some very nice deals.  I also enjoy buying during 'Saturday Night Express' the 3rd Saturday of the Month, starting around either 7 or 8 PM.  I highly recommend it.  Great prices, great plants, and great fun... what more could you ask for.  
laugh.png

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back