How well do neon's and guppys get on together?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

smyth19

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Could someone tell me from there knowledge, how well do guppys and neons get on with one another, and even mollys with them??

Thanx
Joe!!

I don't know about mollies, but I do know that guppies and neons have different water requirements and are therefore not suitable together.

I've had them together before, and they got along just fine. There probably is a difference in water requirements, as the neons live in ponds created by rainfall, and some of these ponds even dry up during the dry season, whilst the guppies are more "river oriented". I've even seen guppies living in street gutters here, so actually, both species are very tolerant and will most likely adapt to reasonable conditions.
Bear in mind that guppies are basically surface feeders, and, depending on numbers, could steal all available food from neons, who tend to dwell deeper than the guppies. This is easily ascertained through observation, and was not the case in my tank.
Also, take all precautions when bringing new fish into an aquarium, and, if possible, start with one, so you'll be able to spot any problems early on, and at minimum cost and risk.

IMHO it should work, however keep researching! ;)

Miguel.-

I'm not sure your information about neons is correct - seems rather strange as neons have absolutely no adaptation to living in dried up pools (unlike labyrinth fish or lungfish).

As for guppies, the ones you saw in the gutters were not highly breed fancy guppies - they are not hardy at all in my experience. I expect it depends on where you get them from and who bred them. All too often, commercial breeders are interested in bright colours and nothing else - they certainly aren't interested in vigorous health or longevity!

Just to add to all this - I don't have guppies, but I do have mollies and neons together and they get along just fine! :nod:

My two cents worth....

Guppies PREFER slightly alkaline hard water, usually lightly salted. Neons PREFER slightly soft acidic water and aren't crazy about salted water. However, both will easily adapt to neutral water with or without a small amount of salt. Although their water requirements aren't a perfect match, I have NO doubt that they're kept together in thousands of home aquariums quite successfully. Just make sure to keep the neons in a decent sized school or else they may become rather nippy with the fancy tailed guppies.

Thanx Aquanut!!!#

I kept neons and guppys together about 8 years back and they got on fairly well with each other, just needed other peoples views how they get on with one another from there experience!!!

Many Thanx
Joe!!!

>>> as the neons live in ponds created by rainfall

I'd dispute that. I've seen them in the Rio Negro and its tributaries, and was told by local collectors in Manaus that they also find them in many of the black water tributaries of the Solimões. (Never explored the Solimões much, to many mosquitoes! Rio Negro is to acidic for mozzies to breed).

That apart, yeah, they are both reall adaptable viz. water. It's all been said really

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back