How to to medicine bath -injured fish

xWarrior15

Reaction score
I have baktopur and esha 2000 at hand and I would like to treat wound that one german blue ram caused to another with it. She has a mini bite next ro her gill, just enough that surface skin has come off. Shes acting normal and active, but this happened today. After that I put ram pair that injured her into mesh and theyre staying in aquarium 'jailed' in this mesh box (same as fish breeding box, but i used sution cups to attach a giant fishing net and make them float on top)

I hope I can leave this pair this way for a few days? They are aggresive, cause they want to breed I assume.

Anyway, back to injured fish, since methylene blue is not allowed in EU and I only have baktopur/esha 2000, should I bath this injured fish in it and if so for how long? Would 30 min be enough? I would pour water into a bucket and accordingly dose the med.

Thank you for your advice.

This is not how the medicines are designed to be used so it won't help. Plus baths are very stressful on the captured fish.
If there is no sign of infection, lots of clean water is the best. Daily large water changes, temperature matched and dechlorinated.
Then you just have to figure out how to separate the rams permanently.

What are signs of infection?

So far she's active as before. She has a bit red around her mouth because I think they fought. You can see wound next to her gill on 1st pic.

Meanwhile how long can I keep this pair like this? Cause I don't have another aquarium to put them to.

The thing is I brought this male in because my old male died and I thought 2:1 ratio would be fine and because females were only surfung glass after he died, but they started fighting now.

Attachments

• 20220420_212451.jpg
    20220420_212451.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220420_212500(0).jpg
    20220420_212500(0).jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 22
Redness is a sign of infection. Try the water changes today and tomorrow. If the pink wound gets redder or bigger, or there is reduced activity or feeding, repost a photo.
I think you guessed the 2 rams can't stay in the net. I would suggest you get another tank or rehome the fish tomorrow.

The best treatment for minor cuts and scratches is clean water and maybe a bit of salt.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. This removes the biofilm on the glass and the biofilm will contain lots of harmful bacteria, fungus, protozoans and various other microscopic life forms.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Add some salt, (see directions below).

-------------------
If the damaged area goes red and inflamed, it can be infected with bacteria. If it goes white and fluffy it is fungus.

The fresh injury will usually look a bit red and inflamed and should look better after 24-48 hours.

-------------------
SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt) or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, Bettas & gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria, fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

When you first add salt, add the salt to a small bucket of tank water and dissolve the salt. Then slowly pour the salt water into the tank near the filter outlet. Add the salt over a couple of minutes.

Just let the little guy go and carry on. Fish have fights and scrapes all the time as long as the water is clean, there shouldn't be any problems.

Thank you for your help guys. So far I didn't treat her yet, because her wound today looked the same and she was active as before and eating. She's a tough girl and fearless. Meanwhile now when I returned this pair back into tank after 24hrs they went straight to attacking her again, so I couldn't watch this anymore, cause she seemed to get a tiny nip at the other side too and I placed her into my 6g betta tank. He's flaring at her and a bit chasing, but he doesn't do anything to her, I hope it stays this way for now, because I'll soon move him to 10g anyway.

But something changed. I thought these two in the net were paired, but when I released them back into tank male started attacking at "his" female too. He already did this a few hrs later after being in the net with her. I don't understand now why he started attacking her, because they've been swimming together for days and attacking the other female together. Did I wreck their "balance" by putting the into net and they became even more aggressive?

At this point I don't even know if I should attempt to return this female in at a later time in hope that they wouldn't attack her?

Unfortunately she turned worse today. Betta kept going after her and flaring, so I took her into hospital tank that I just set up. I treated her with Esha 2000. She's mostly pale and barely moving. I hope she makes it. Her wound has enlarged today too, why would that happen?

Need pictures but if she was attacked by the Betta, any injuries she had before could be made worse by the Betta.

I don't think betta attacked her cause she stayed with him a very short time over night.

Either way thank you for your help guys. Unfortunately she passed away an hour ago :((

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back